Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I keep getting many emails apparently sent to a different email

I keep getting many emails apparently sent to a different email address which, despite the cryptic one line note, are just pushing " free "Asian porn sites. Maybe around 10 a day.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issue. Before I can provide you with detailed and step by steps procedures to fix this problem, please tell me the following:
  1. Are you using a computer with Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8?
  2. Are you using a web browser like Internet Explorer to send and receive emails?
  3. Or are you using an email program like MS Outlook 2007, 2010 or 2013?
  4. Also, is your problem email account ending with @yahoo.com? @hotmail.com? @gmail.com? @aol.com? or others?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm using an iPad Air.
They seem to have yahoo.com at end.
Typical sample today as follows::
From :*****@******.***
To:*****@******.***
NO SUBJECT
24 September 2014 07.19
Http://engelcorp.com/inf.htm
The above line will give an Asian porn site
The From address seems unknowingly legit
The To address is frequently the same but has variations
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Brian,

Thank you for writing back. Please tell me your email address domain name part, I am referring to your email address that is getting the unwanted emails. Is it ending with @yahoo.com?

Also, are you accessing this email using other devices like computers? Or only with iPad?

Keep me posted.
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Jess
I cannot get in touch with my far younger relative who set the email address up. I do not have or know how to use any other type of machine so all communication is on iPad . The only thing I can find in the mail settings is the incoming server is called
pop.daily.co.uk
Sorry again for my ignorance
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Brian,

Thank you for writing back. I was referring to your email address that is receiving suchunwanted email message. Please tell me the end part of it, NOT the full email address since our sysmtem will display it as ******@****.***.

Another way is to replace the @ sign with the word AT. For instance, ig your email address in iPad is jess@ yahoo.com, post it as jessATyahoo.com.

Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
@mackain.co.uk
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Brian,

Thank you for that information.So it appears that your @mackain.co.uk email account is always or regularly getting unwanted emails. These emails, like the ones that you are getting, are just advertising some sites, which in your case, they advertise porn sites.

In order to avoid getting these kinds of SPAM emails, there are few ways that you can do from your end. I listed them below.

First, DO NOT publish or post your email address (that is why our system is masking emails posted here and showing them as *****@****.***) anywhere online unless you are signing up for an account in a legitimate website. The main reason for this is because, those spammers, (you might wonder how they got your email) are using bots and scripts that will scour the internet for email addresses in various websites and store them in their database. Once you post your email address somewhere and these bots (electronic robot) were able to collect it, then that is the time that the spammers can start sending you their massive advertising emails. So to prevent getting more spam in the future, never post your email address online unless when signing up in a legitimate website since the emails when signing up are not shown in public thus web bots will not be able to collect them.

Second, is DO NOT open an email that you SUSPECT as spam. If you got an email that you suspect as SPAM, please DO NOT open it. The spammer may included a notifier in the email that once opened, the spammer will get notified that you opened the email which then tells him that your email is legitimate (remember that spammers only collects random emails). Once he knew your email is legitimate, he will then send you more spam.

Third, when you receive a spam email, DO NOT open it like mentioned above. Instead, mark the email as spam. If you are using a web browser like Safari to access your emails, then tick the email in the list (do not open, just tick the check box in the subject area to select it), then locate a button that says something like Mark As Spam or Junk. Once you do this, your iPad will then automatically move the email to the Spam or Junk folder. Future emails from the same sender will no longer reach your Inbox but will be moved to Junk or Spam folder automatically.

Another way to mark an email as spam in iPad is when you are using the Mail app, you can drag the email in the list (do not open it) just drag the listed email in your inbox to the Junk folder in the sidebar.

After doing these, future emails will be sent to the Junk or Spam folder automatically thus you will no longer be receiving these spams in the long run.

I hope that helped.

Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated! Cool

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess