KamilAnwar1
KamilAnwar1, Exchange & Email Consultant
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I have been having a terrible time with AOL mail for years,(messages

I have been having a terrible time with AOL mail for years,(messages disappearing... messages never arriving, even though the person sending the message thinks I've gotten it.)...but I'm having difficulty changing my account to something else. I set up two google mail accounts. Both times in such a way that my old AOL mail would be (I thought ) automatically diverted to the new account. In neither instance did this happen. I found google mail to be so complicated, as it's all connected to Google Plus, which I can never understand. I just want an email account that I can depend on , in which my old AOL messages will be diverted until I can establish the new account. Any advice?
Category: Email
Expert:  KamilAnwar1 replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
I can help you with the new setup, and make it an easy one. I would suggest that you install an e-mail client such as Thunderbird, and setup your Gmail e-mail on it, (gmail, and hotmail) are most reliable in my opinion, as they are free and secure. Then, instead of accessing websites for mails and getting confused, just click on the thunderbird icon on desktop/computer to access mails.
You can download Thunderbird at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
And once it is downloaded, run the setup to install it.
After that, add your e-mail account to it and then in future just click thunderbird icon on desktop to access e-mails.
Let me know if you have questions.
Optional Remote Connect Service - Quick Resolution
Would you like me to remotely connect to your computer and fix the issue - The remote service will be an additional service for $44 but will allow me direct access to work on your issue and fix it (while you watch on your screen).
If you do not need the remote service, then simply provide me the requested information above. If you need remote service reply me with the words "i want remote".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** do I get my messages that will be coming in to AOL to be rerouted to gmail? I don't understand at all how Thunderbird will solve my problem

Well, with Thunderbird - you won't be getting redirected to google plus, or going through sign-ins, etc..
You will get an icon on your desktop, you click on it and it will show you the mails. Then, you can reply,read those mails. It may take a few minutes, to understand it (but you can ask me here) or take remote service, and i'll explain the functions.
To get emails from AOL into Gmail, you need to add aol email account into Gmail Settings, for that, you need to login to www.gmail.com
go to settings, click settings wheel on the top right side
select settings
from settings, select accounts
click "Add a POP3 mail account you own" and fill all the details and save it.
This will begin to receive your aol emails into gmail.
And on thunderbird, you will receive all emaisl.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Kamil! So, I downloaded Thunderbird, and it's in the dock. Now how do I get my googlemail and my aol mail into it?

AOL email needs to be configured (you have to follow the steps) i suggested above by going to www.gmail.com and setting it up "see the response above"
To add gmail to Thunderbird
Open Thunderbird
Under "Create a new account" click "E-mail"
Select "Skip this, and use my existing email account"
You will be presented with boxes, to type your name, email and password.
Fill up this information, and click continue, next/finish. Gmail will be added, and will appear on the left pane of Thunderbird.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it better to click IMAP or POP3? What's the difference?

Now... the passwords for both google mail accounts I had previously set up are being rejected...

I did get my aol account on to thunderbird, though.

But when I went to www.gmail and followed the steps to import my aol mail , as per your instruction, I see a message "email account cannot be imported "(I had tried to do this ages ago)

IMAP is better, imap syncs in real-time. POP3 stores on the PC, i wouldn't recommend POP3.
I just added my aol to my gmail to test and it worked. You can reset the password, if it is not being accepted, probably because password ***** *****?
You added AOL on thunderbird, that's fine, you will receive mail on thunderbird as well directly, but if you add it on Gmail then they will be imported into Gmail. just make sure that while adding aol on gmail, it must be pop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got an email from google saying that "someone had tried to access my account", and that that "person had my password " (Obviously me) I followed their link to make the account "less secure" (according to them) and now my google account is on Thunderbird. Where should I reset my aol password?

To reset password, click the link below and follow the steps:
http://tinyurl.com/kdrkuwc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just tried , and I got a message from AOL that my password ***** be reset right now, and they gave a phone number.
Also, your answers are no longer coming to my computer... Only my phone

That means, you do not have any security info setup or it has expired. You will need to call AOL to do the password ***** I am not sure why my answers arent coming, can you not see them on this screen? I will be leaving and be back in about 2 hours until then i will opt out to allow other experts assist. If no body joins in, then i will get back to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I now have managed to reset my aol password. It worked on my second attempt without having to call. But I am still getting a message that my messages on that email cannot be imported by google

Can you paste me the complete message?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Import mail and contacts:
Learn more

*****@******.***

Could not be imported.

delete

Import from another address

box which says pop server, has a address called "pop.aol.com" and port "995"
change it to, imap.aol.com and port 993
also make sure you are able to access aol when you go to mail.aol.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which box? Where? Nothing is working anymore... I think I need you to come on to help me?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which box? Where? Nothing is working anymore. I think I need you to hook up to help me?
That will be best, ***** ***** be able to see what is happening. Click "Get Extra Help" to accept remote service, then wait for the page to reload. After it reloads, follow steps to connect with me.
Please click the link below:
https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=910751
OR >>>CLICK ME<<<
A program called 'support-logmeinrescue.exe' will be downloaded.
Click on the downloaded file and click run.
If asked by system to allow the file to run, select "Yes/Allow/OK"
Please click the link below:
https://secure.logmeinrescue.com/R?i=2&Code=165245
OR >>>CLICK ME<<<
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm clicking both links, but it's only taking me to a blank page. I'm starting to panic!
The file is already downloaded, i gave you the direct link for ease. You can try the following option, don't panic, once i am in i will hopefully fix it quickly.
Please go to www.logmein123.com
OR Click the link below:
www.logmein123.com
Type the code: 185462
Click Start Download
Click on the downloaded file, and Click Run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It spins around for a few seconds, then it just stops... it won't download. It feels as though everything is broken, now

On your browser, there is a small icon pointing downwards.
like the one in the image below,

click on it, and double click the support-logmeinrescue file.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't see that icon anywhere

Which web browser you are using? You have to run the file in the same way you did the thunderbird file.
How did you run the thunderbird file?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is a browser? I just did what you told me to do with the Thunderbird file. Put it in my dock.

The web browser which you are using to browse website, on mac it is safari, and the icon for safari looks like this:
I have another suggestion, which is if you send me the username and passwords for gmail and aol in the box below where it says enter private contact info, then i can logon directly to check the settings.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it must be safari. The word safari is in the upper right corner of my screen, next to the apple (there was no picture in your message) ... but, what is google then?

Google is a search engine, a website just like this one. Google Chrome is Google's web browser. Do you have a Window button on top?

Please tell me the code received on cell phone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
523745
This is now setup, you will get all your e-mails from AOL into Gmail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just went to ail on thunderbird. One or two aol messages are there, but not many. I'm getting a message " connection to aol IMAP failed. I can't see any way to delete a whole bunch of promotional adds from the inbox
Well, on Thunderbird you added AOL account. Which you did not need to, because you were going to receive AOL in Gmail, so Gmail is the one that needs to be configured on Thunderbird. (nothing else).
You can delete the AOL account, and keep only Gmail.
To delete account Ctrl + Click click on the aol email address from the left pane and select settings.
Then a settings dialog will open, select "Account Actions"
Remove Account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just removed account. There are more messages in gmail now, but sporadic. They stop on October 10. Then there are two from Google today, but no other messages from today in there at all

Good. Gmail is still downloading messages from AOL, there were 2000 something there. It will take some time. After a few minutes or so click the "Get Mail" button on the top left side to update the email so it can check for new messages.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! Now, what do I do about getting gmail on my phone?
The phone configuration has to be asked as a separate question so a phone expert can assist. This question is only to be assisted in the computing category.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks , Kamil. I have come closer, but not there yet... I now have gmail on thunderbird on my computer... but I can see no way to easily and quickly delete the reams of junk messages I

get. There's no delete button that I can see, other than laboriously opening every message. Or trying to move them to trash , but that often is frustrating, and takes two or three attempts

If you select all messages from the main view, and hit delete key it would delete them or you can delete 1 by 1 if you only select 1 message.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you mean the delete key? I see nothing to click that says delete. That's my point. The only time I'm given the option to delete is when I laboriously open and read each email.

Also, my search engines, google and safari, have been blocked for youtube because a message said someone already was able to access the new gmail account with my password ***** another country. But I don't understand this because I thought my new gmail account was unconnected to google because it's through the search engine, thunderbird

You can press the delete key on the keyboard.
And, for gmail if you logon through web you can request a code to fix the account.
It will tell you it needs to verify the account and will ask you for your number, if you give the number it will send a verification code to fix it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I logged on to gmail, but I can't figure out how to request a code to fix the account

If you are logged into Gmail already, then the account is not blocked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But, although I can get on to you tube, all the videos are blocked. And, yesterday , I got a message that someone had been able to access my gmail account with a correct password. I can't find that message now, though...

Videos being blocked appear to be unrelated to this issue, it appears that a plug-in is interfering, i would suggest that a new question be asked to be assisted with the videos issue.
You may have got the message may be because of logging in from a different location.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, the login was from Sri Lanka, or somewhere I've never been. And the message seemed to have popped up in response to my trying to get videos going

You will have to ask a new question for that because it is outside the scope of the original question as per the site policy.