ptorres007
ptorres007, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 Years of IT experience.
34552149

I have deleted an email account by mistake, losing all messages,

Customer Question

I have deleted an email account by mistake, losing all messages, contacts, etc. How stupid! Is it possible to recover it?
G Watts
Category: Email
Expert:  ptorres007 replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today.

Customer:

Did you remove the account from a local application on your computer or was it deleted through settings on the email providers website? What email provider do you use and if you use an email application on your computer, what is it?

JACUSTOMER-1e3vpx1q- :

I removed the account myself having clicked on the accounts tab on the inbox page. The email provider is talktalk.net on explorer with livemail. Is this the information you need?

Customer:

Yes, that was the info I needed.

Customer:

So, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this is not recoverable directly by either you or I. What you will have to do and ASAP is call talktalk to have them restore this account, most will have a time period where they can restore so the sooner you contact them the better your chances.

JACUSTOMER-1e3vpx1q- :

OK will do.

Customer:

Best of luck to you.

JACUSTOMER-1e3vpx1q- :

Pleased to receive your advice, but will it really cost me £29!!

Customer:

Just to clarify one quick thing, you did the deletion on the webpage, correct?

JACUSTOMER-1e3vpx1q- :

I deleted on the inbox page of the email, not on a webpage.

Customer:

Can you do me a favor and login here with that account? http://www.talktalk.co.uk/mail/?check_cookie=1

JACUSTOMER-1e3vpx1q- :

can I just click on the link?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

When you are done let me know the results

JACUSTOMER-1e3vpx1q- :

I cannot login because I do not seem to have the correct password ***** when I key in the email address (user name) I'm told it was generated by another provider. Help

Customer:

talktalk is your internet provider, correct?

JACUSTOMER-1e3vpx1q- :

yes

Customer:

and you deleted the account from windows live?

JACUSTOMER-1e3vpx1q- :

yes, if you mean windows live mail

Customer:

Yes, thats what I mean.

Customer:

Ahh, ok. Well then thats good because its recoverable. Likely all you need to do is get the password ***** This was likely what the issue was in the first place, a bad password ***** you to be unable to connect to the server.

Customer:

I thought earlier you clicked the "accounts" tab of the inbox page of the website, not of windows live mail page, which led to my confusion.

Customer:

Try using this link here: https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/forgotdetails/index/webmailindex to recover your password. Once you have done this, re add your account to windows live mail

Customer:

Were you able to get use that form?

Customer:

Hello, was that link able to recover your account password?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I telephoned talktalk and spent close on an hour - changed the password ***** they eventually recovered the emails received since yesterday, but none received earlier, together with some of those sent 2 years ago, but none sent recently. I have left it with them to see if they can recover any more.

A not altogether satisfactory result.

Hopefully they are able to recover the rest for you. Just to be safe do a full virus scan on your computer. A lot of times when email password ***** changed and recent emails are not showing can be a symptom where spammers compromise the account and use it to send out spam.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have difficulty giving you a rating. I suppose I should say that your service was OK and to be fair you have shown interest and tried to help. However you really only managed to help me change my password (which was not the main problem and not too difficult to do) but did not recover the email account I had deleted. I simply did what you had suggested early on and that was to contact Talktalk. Looking at the situation as a whole, I still think that £29 was a lot to pay for this! Sorry if I appear to be ungrateful.

That is understandable. How would you like to proceed?