Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Technician
Experience:  10+ years of work experience.
30759776

The below message was received from one of my coilleagues whom

Customer Question

The below message was received from one of my coilleagues whom I'd like to help (she uses a brand new macbook pro 13" on Yosemite 10.9.4 with a gmail account and mac mail):
I’ve noticed on quite a few occasions that sometimes I will read emails then my inbox will mark them as unread and sometimes I mark emails as unread if I need to deal with them later but my inbox marks them as read meaning I miss emails and potentially miss something I need to do.
The search function is also not working properly, emails which I know are in my inbox cannot be found when using the search box, and emails take time to load when using mac mail which slows me down.
Can you look into why this might be? I’m worried I might miss important things I need to deal with, and waste time looking for emails and waiting for them to load.
Category: Email
Expert:  JoelK replied 2 years ago.
JoelK :

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. Thank you for your question. My goal is to provide excellent customer service.

JoelK :

Your colleague should download the free gmail app from the iTunes store. It will work much better for gmail accounts.

JoelK :

The downloaded gmail app should work better than the native mac mail app for gmail accounts.

JACUSTOMER-l8d9y3b2- :

Hi Joel,

JACUSTOMER-l8d9y3b2- :

we would like to continue with mac mail

JoelK :

Regarding searching your inbox, you should know that gmail groups reply messages into threads, with the original message displayed first. When you receive a reply, it will not be apparent, because it is attached to the end of the message. When using the search tool, it is best to search for the sender, rather than the subject.

JoelK :

I understand that you want to stick with mac mail, because its features are integrated into the operating system. However, you might want to try one of the alternative email apps, such as myMail, which is the most downloaded email app, and which supports gmail.

JACUSTOMER-l8d9y3b2- :

I'm afraid moving email clients isn't an option, it's company standard.

JoelK :

Okay. There are not any settings that you can adjust to improve the performance. Gmail is sluggish. They are so large, that it takes a long time for email messages to be processed, both send and receive. I am afraid that there is nothing that I can do for you. However, I will opt out and give other experts a chance to contribute their knowledge and experience. It has been a pleasure serving you.

Expert:  JoelK replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Joel,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Provide an answer that can solve the problem
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.
My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today.
I can see that you may need a little bit of extra help.
Do you still need help with this problem? If so, may I start a screen sharing session on your computer and help you resolve the problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jason,

Yes still need help please.

Will be able to do a screen share later this evening (UK time) if that's OK? (around 8:30pm GMT)

That time works for me.
When you are ready to begin, please post a message here.
Jason