A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.
71208907

Since I downloaded Yosemite, my word processor used for mail

Customer Question

Since I downloaded Yosemite, my word processor used for mail jumps all over the place. i.e, I can type going home and find gohome ing. Anything I can do to correct this ?
Category: Email
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 2 years ago.
A. Stevens :

Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!

A. Stevens :

Does this only happen in mail?

A. Stevens :

Are you using Mac Mail? Or another program?

JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- : Just in
JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- : I'm going out. Can we restart conversation tomorrow ?
JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- : I'm using Mac mail and it only happens with mail. Pages works fine.
A. Stevens :

We can start tomorrow.

A. Stevens :

Just reply here and I will respond back ASAP.

A. Stevens :

So try one thing for me - do you know how to create a new profile on your Mac?

A. Stevens :

If so, do that, and try to see if you have the issue.

A. Stevens :

If it does not persist with the new user, then there is an issue with you profile settings.

A. Stevens :

Or system files.

JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- :

No, I don't know how to create a new profile on my mac. Sorry, pls help

A. Stevens :

Sure, I can assist you with this.

A. Stevens :

I can send instructions on how to do so.

A. Stevens :

Or I can offer additional services for a remote screen sharing session so I can try to perform the testing and repair for you.

A. Stevens :

Please let me know how you would like to proceed

JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- :

Send me the instructions and we'll take it from there.

A. Stevens :

Add a user

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.

2. Click the lock icon [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.

3. Click Add [IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] below the list of users.

4. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.

• administrator: An administrator can add and manage other users, install apps, and change settings. The new user you create when you first set up your Mac is an administrator. Your Mac can have multiple administrators. You can create new ones, and convert standard users to administrators. Don’t set up automatic login for an administrator. If you do, someone could simply restart your Mac and gain access with administrator privileges. To keep your Mac secure, don’t share administrator names and passwords.

• standard user: Standard users are set up by an administrator. A standard user can install apps and change settings for his or her own use. Standard users can’t add other users or change other users’ settings.

• managed user: Users who are managed with parental controls can access only the apps and content specified by the administrator managing the user. The administrator can restrict the user’s contacts and website access, and place time limits on computer use.

• sharing only user: Sharing-only users can access shared files remotely, but can’t log in to or change settings on the computer. To give the user permission to access your shared files or screen, you may need to change settings in the File Sharing, Screen Sharing, or Remote Management panes of Sharing preferences.

• group: A “group” allows multiple users to have the same access privileges. For example, you can grant a group specific access privileges for a folder or a file, and all members of the group have access. You can also assign a group specific access privileges for each of your shared folders.You control a group’s access to your shared folders by setting access permissions in the File Sharing section of Sharing preferences.

• guest user: Guest users can use your computer temporarily without you having to add them as individual users. You can set restrictions guests can access only the items you want to share. Files created by a guest are stored in a temporary folder, but this folder and its contents are deleted when the guest logs out. The guest account works with the Find My Mac feature of iCloud, which can help you find your Mac if you lose it. You can locate your Mac if someone finds it, logs in as a guest, then uses Safari to access the Internet.

Guests:

• Don’t need a password ***** log in

• Can’t change user or computer settings

• Can’t log in remotely when remote login is turned on in Sharing preferences

5. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is ***** ***** To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.

6. Enter a password ***** the user, then enter it again to verify. Using a password ***** is recommended to help the user remember his or her password.

7. Click Create User.

8. Depending on the type of user you create, you can also do any of the following:

• To let the user access your shared files and screen remotely using an Apple ID, click Set, then enter the user’s Apple ID. The Apple ID must be the same as an Apple ID entered for the user in Users & Groups preferences on the user’s Mac.

• To let the user reset the password ***** logging in on this Mac, select “Allow user to reset password ***** Apple ID.” If this option is dimmed, click Set, then enter the user’s Apple ID.

• For an administrator, select “Allow user to administer this computer.”

• For a child or other managed user, select “Enable parental controls.” Click Open Parental Controls, then set up restrictions for the user.

• For a sharing-only user, specify which folders the user can view and whether the user can share your screen. For more information, see Share your files with other Mac users or Share your screen.

Create a group

4. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose Group.

5. Give the group a name, then click Create Group.

6. Select each user and group you want to add to the new group.

Convert a standard user to an administrator

3. Select a standard user or managed user in the list of users, then select “Allow user to administer this computer.”

Let occasional users log in as guests

You can create a guest user to let others use your Mac without setting up a full user account. You can use parental controls to limit guests’ activities, and specify which folders they can view.

3. Select Guest User in the list of users.

4. Select “Allow guests to log in to this computer.”

5. If you like, select “Enable parental controls,” then click Open Parental Controls. For details about the limits you can set, see Set up parental controls.

6. To let guests use your shared folders from another computer on the network, select “Allow guests to connect to shared folders.”

When guests log in, they don’t need a password.

Customize the login experience

If you are an administrator, you can specify how the login window looks to all the other users.

3. In Users & Groups preferences, click Login Options.

4. Click the “Automatic login” pop-up menu, then choose a user, or choose Off.

If you choose a user, then whenever the Mac starts up, that user is automatically logged in. If you choose Off, then at startup the Mac opens a login window showing all the users. Automatic login takes effect the next time you restart the Mac. For better security, don’t set your Mac to automatically log in an administrator. If FileVault is turned on, automatic login is disabled.

5. Select the options you want. If you have any questions, click the Help button for detailed information.

To permit new users to access your shared files or screen, you may need to change settings in the File Sharing, Screen Sharing, or Remote Management pane of Sharing preferences.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Sharing.

JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- :

I added a new administrator, but got no pop-up menu to choose type of user

A. Stevens :

Sorry about the confusing instruction

A. Stevens :

You've added a new administrator correct?

A. Stevens :

You have the user name and password?

JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- :

yes

A. Stevens :

OK so can you login with this new yser

A. Stevens :

user*

JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- :

no password ***** for

A. Stevens :

and see if the issue persists in mac mail

A. Stevens :

no problem, don't necessarily need a password

A. Stevens :

just only if you assigned one

JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- :

Even though I added a new administrator, when I click on it, it refuses to respond and I have the original administrator

A. Stevens :

You may need to reboot the machine first

A. Stevens :

Any joy?

JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- :

I've rebooted and unfortunately it still doesn't work, so I'll just go to the Apple store. Thank you for your time.

A. Stevens :

Hi I'm sorry I wasn't able to immediately assist you

A. Stevens :

If you would like to request a refund

A. Stevens :

Please adjust your rating to "OK Service"

A. Stevens :

And you can request a refind from customer care

A. Stevens :

Otherwise you will be billed for the "bad service" rating

A. Stevens :

with no option for a refund

JACUSTOMER-ixatn3pn- :

Where do I find customer care. And what is the logic of saying ok service and requesting refund

A. Stevens :

You can contact Just Answer Customer Care/Billing at these places:
Email:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us
Phone:
US/Canada 1.888.862.9212
Australia 1.800.679.634
New Zealand 0800-452-621
United Kingdom 0808-189-0970
The rest of the world 1-925-418-3893

A. Stevens :

I'm not sure who came up with that system, as I am not involved in billing.