hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Other
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer email problems
40928634

I have an email address with British Telecom even though our

I have an email address with British Telecom even though our account (invoice) is not with BT. Recently it tells me that me details are incorrect and won't let me in to get my emails, even though my name and password ***** set by default. It's at least 10 years since I set up the email address so I can't remember what the answer to my security question. I have some urgent emails I need to get. PLEASE HELP.
Category: Email
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.

Adam

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I will wait for an answer as I need to access my emails urgently.

Expert:  adamd-mod replied 2 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Adam

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 2 years ago.

Hello there,

What did BT tell you please & did they offer any suggestions?

So you pay BT for your email and your provider for your ADSL? service?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No we are not with BT anymore. We have a telephone provider and a seperate provider for broadband
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We don't have a/c with BT anymore but we have a provider for our landline and a separate provider for broadband.

Hello again,

I understand that you have separate providers for your broadband but you said:

"an email address with British Telecom "

This means that you are paying BT for your email address?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I rang bt they told me that it was a private tel no and put me through to business line they then in turn told me it was a private tel no etc etc and this telephone call lasted about 25 minutes and I got nowhere with them.

I am scratching my head. BT tell you it's a private tel number but put you through to business...

Ok I am trying to understand how do you have a BT email address? Are you paying BT for the email address please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No we don't have an invoice from BT

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We don't have an account with bt

Hello there,

Please bear with me.

You said in your opening question "I have an email address with British Telecom"

If your broadband is with one company and your landline is with another (none are BT) then how do you get an address with BT please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We were originally with BT when the email address's were set up first. The broadband service is extremely poor in our area so we set up with Bytel or Atlas as their also known as, they gave us a great internet service at a fixed rate. We always kept the same email address's in our office as we had with BT originally i.e the email address's stayed the same.

Am I correct that you transferred your BT internet service to your new broadband company which is Bytel or Atlas which is whom you pay for the BT email address?

So you are a business rather than home owner? If so that explains why BT transferred you to their business unit. But as you are not with BT business you are at a loose end?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes we pay Bytel/Atlas.

We are a business customer. But BT don't seem to want to help us.

Ok thank you,

So you don't know your BT username & password ***** your browser would fill in these details for you but now they are not working?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I do know the username and password ***** when BT gives me a message to say my details are incorrect.

One day my emails are perfect and the next day it's says they are incorrect - I am baffled.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried both and no results. Thank you.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this sounds like to me that your email has been hacked and the password ***** the account has been changed.

It seems that your BT email is still being handled by BT so all I can suggest that you do is contact BT business again and don't give up until you talk to a manager.

You are paying for this email address through the company that has taken over your account.

What you need to do is have them reset your email password. You can then log back into your account and change the password ***** something of your choosing. Please make sure that your new password ***** ***** digits long and be a mix of letters and numbers together with one letter being a capital.

I'm sorry that I cannot give you good news. However as you are paying for your email address and can prove that the account is yours through a billing address and email contacts that you know of, you should persue BT until they help you.

hongkongpom, Other
Experience: I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer email problems