Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician; founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

Being disabled much of my social life is conducted by email-

Customer Question

Being disabled much of my social life is conducted by email- years Mozilla Thunderbird which allows archiving into separate folders year since 2000.
Recently however (2014) the content of archived emails has disappeared rendering archiving useless. It has been suggested that this is due to an overactive Norton security program but the contamination has not ocurred before 2014. Help!
Ted Donohoe
*****@******.***
Category: Email
Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.

,

My name is ***** ***** I will try my best to help you identify/resolve the problem.

There can be couple of different reasons problem you have mentioned. Let us first check if the mbox files, in which Thunderbird stores your messages are still there.

If you are using any version of Windows, press and hold Windows key, then press R to open Run

Type %appdata% in the Run box and press Enter, a Window should open. Locate and open Thunderbird folder. Then open Profiles folder.

Next, open the folder xxxxxxxx.default (xxxxxxxx is a random string)

Then open the folder Mail

Here, you will see a folder email account (e.g. pop.gmail.com) OR a folder named Local Folders.

Open it and look folder Archives.sbd. This is the folder where the actual mbox files archived folders of Thunderbird should reside. Open it and let me know if you see any file names similar to the following

2000
2000.msf
2001
2001.msf
.
.
.
.
2014
2014.msf

etc

Please post a reply here when you are online. I will get back to you as early as possible.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your reply arrived during a European nightfall and is being read on a busy Sunday morning - will reply tonight when things are calmer.

Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
Okay..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I operate Windows 7. I have never come across a "windows key".

Up to 2013 - directories are intact. Inbox has disappeared and Sent show my name recipient of every email. Content of several emails of 2014 have disappeared.

Ted Donohoe

Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
Thanks reply. Windows keys is a special key on the keyboard (between the left Ctrl and Alt keys)
graphic

Let me know the name of files you find in the Archives.sbd folder within the profile folder of Thunderbird
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am working on this but the files I find do not correspond to the ones you mention. This requires an uninterrupted session which I do not have at present but will report more fully at earliest opportunity.

Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
Ted,

Thanks back. You are right, an uninterrupted session is required here. Let me know when you have time, if required I will start a remote session and take a look at the problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I changed to Windows 7 in 2007, I retained the old classification of C and D . I would therefore welcome your suggestion of a remote session. I have Teamviewer installed which may help. I am usually free from 4pm to 6pm British time.

Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
Okay, we will try it tomorrow then at 4 pm UK time. I will send you a message around 4 and we will start the session.
Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
,

This is Santonu. Please send a message when you are online

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am online as promised and also contactable on

07973 174904

Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Please send me your teamviewer id and password, and I will connect.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

id ********* /p>

password 5by2n6

Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
I think the ID is removed by the system.

Please write team viewer id as, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 (add one space after each number)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

id 1 2 1 8 9 5 4 8 8

password ***** given in teamviewer itself m p 5 8 u 6

Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
Okay..

I am connected now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

what would you like me to do

Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
Please leave the mouse while. I will open a notepad on your desktop so that we can communicate
Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.
Please close TeamViewer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This has now been inspected in person by my regular adviser who has discovered that the rogue behaviour of Thunderbird has been caused by over ambitious deletions by Norton.

This has moment been corrected but I thank you brief attempt to understand the problem.

Expert:  Santonu replied 2 years ago.

Thanks update, Ted

It is good to know that the problem is now resolved. But do backup your Thunderbird profile on a regular basis, preferrably on an external drive. When the profile folder grow in size, temporary corruption can happen. If you have multiple backups, you can restore your messages from the most recent backup.