Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Problem collecting email using Outlook v 14 32 bit. All is

Problem collecting email using Outlook v 14 32 bit.
All is well EXCEPT:
strange reason Outlook will not collect e-mail from my server (Btinternet) if the mail comes from me! Really annoying as I send myself copies a lot so I can see what I have sent.
Can collect ok from iphone and ok when setting up a new account on Outlook using IMAP but will not collect using my POP account
Removed black and white lists, double checked rules and blocked senders lists.
Over to you.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If you check on the BTInternet server via the innternet interface, do you see the email there?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I see the e-mail which is not in bold like others that have not been downloaded. If I mark it as unread Outlook will still not collect it.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, switch off the iPhone completely so it does not get the email.
Then send an email to yourself and tell me if it now appears please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Incidentally, you company tells me that my email address is used by someone else! It is definately *****@******.***

Iphone turned off. email not appeared on server but outlook says it has been sent and it appears in the sent box.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, which version of windows are you using Neville?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

7 professional.

All was working well until yesterday.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, I want you to do a restore to undo any corruption that can of occurred.
Can you close all programs.
Then click start, and type in
system restore
Press enter and follow the onscreen instructions to perform a restore from the last restore point.
This will not touch any of your personal data.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if it now functions please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is offering me a restore date of 15/01/2015 18.13:22 which is after the problem started.

Is that ok?

would it be easier to call me on 01438 718114?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
We do provide additional services outside of just messaging.
If you want I can remotely control your computer and check this problem directly and resolve it?
I made the request if you wish. It is optional.
The date after the problem is no good, but there should be a check box to see additional dates. Do you see this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Restore failed.

"Did not complete sucessfully. Not changed.

Error 0xc0000022

Just sent myself an email.

It appeared on the server as unread but would not download into my inbox.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
o0k, via the BT site, send an email to yourself there.
Does it then appear in outlook?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, it will not be collected by outlook.

I suspect that somewhere there is a blocked senders list in Outlook and my email address is on it. I have searched everywhere but not found it, perhaps it was on Outlook Express I used to use.

It was working ok until I set up a filter to remove all emails from my address if they did not contain the name Neville in the body as I have been getting lots of spam apparantly from my e-mail address.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but you have removed all filters correct?
Can you try to create a new profile please.
Go to Control Panel, type in Mail in the search and click on it.
Add a new profile and set this as default. DO NOT remove your current profile.
Then open Outlook and send an email to yourself and tell me if it is now received please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

All filters removed yes.

This morning I set up a new account using IMAP in Outlook which collected my own emails ok as does my iphone.

Will try a new profile as advised.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Why dont you use iMap though? It is actually better then Pop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK. Set up a new profile and opened up outlook with the new profile after setting up a new pop account. All my emails have downloaded!!! Trouble is that I have thousands of e-mails held on my servers inbox which started to download.

Can I assume that the server will know which device or profile has copied the e-mails?

Anyway, hopefully that experiment will help you to solve my problem :)

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, the other profile was corrupt so we use this new one.
The server wont know anything, but this profile will download all your emails to your computer.
It should then function correctly, you will just have to use this new profile from now on.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So are you saying that this is a workaround rather than a fix?

Is it not possible to fix the corruption?
I am mainly bothered because of the way I work and the way I have old e-mails filed, which going back years. What will happen to them all?

Can I just add another e-mail account to my profile then delete the old one? I tried to add one earlier but I think they clashed as they were on the same profile.

Any ideas?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is not possible to fix a corrupted profile Neville.
You need to first delete the email address but then you lose the emails, so you would want to avoid doing that.
Plus, as the profile is corrupted, you are likely to have problems later on, which is why it is always best to use a new profile.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just remembered.

When opening up Outlook, Avast often seems to find three or four "Viruses" which are .dll files. Does that mean anything to you?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It means you likely have viruses and should run a full scan Neville to remove this. It is possible this caused the corruption in outlook.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just off Richard. May need help sorting out old e-mails which I will do this afternoon. Thanks help so far.

Neville

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but is it now receiving emails you send to yourself Neville?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So, been to Control panel, Mail, Show profilies, add new account (called Nevs Outlook) then add e-mail account using POP3 and selected my *****@******.*** folder option, set as default profile and opened up Outlook to see all my folders - so far so good! Sent myself an e-mail but cannot collect it!!!!! I see it on the server so I know it was sent.

If I am to be forced to use IMAP, what will happen to all my existing folders in Outlook? Can they be sent up to my server? Messy business this.

Neville

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then you have to use iMap
Best to add the account, so it is there as well as the Pop account, then drag the folders into the iMap account and it can be added on the server.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Deep joy. OK I have done that. What a pain, Not really what I needed help as I had done that yesterday.

First letter "Can collect ok from iphone and ok when setting up a new account on Outlook using IMAP but will not collect using my POP account"

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, but either Outlook is corrupted or your user profile in windows Neville, so you will have to do it this way.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I guess you are right and that I will be pleased in the end once I have sorted out all my old e-mails.

What happens if the server loses all my e-mails? Do they have a back up system?

Thanks again Richard.

Regards from

Neville

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
They do Neville, a multi Billion dollar company such as BT has a huge infrasture in place with multiple backup sustems. Your data is much more safer then being stored on your computer.
If you need anything else at all, please let me know. This is no problem.
And if you can please remember the service rating, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you and have a great weekend.