Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I went to log on to my emails (Hotmail) & as am usually directed

Customer Question

I went to log on to my emails (Hotmail) & as am usually directed to it without signing in. Then last weekend it asked me to sign in but I had forgotten my password, tried numerous attempts with Microsoft no joy, then I saw a helpline called MCHelper...I thought it was part of Microsoft....silly me.....I was redirected to India & someone remotely controlled my computer & was asking phone numbers etc which I had setup with Hotmail. They showed me that they had retrieved my Hotmail but demanded £130.00 years help, they told me that my computer had alot of virus's etc., & that my Hotmail account had been hacked. During the conversation alarm bells flashed as I realized that this was a scam & they obviously changed my password ***** they also put virus on my computer this where they con you to pay help. I have since tried with Microsoft as they are sending me an email that I have turn on two step verification (don't remember doing so....MC Helper may have done this) so know it can take 30 days to get my Hotmail account back!!! I have seen another couple of sites that say that they can get me Hotmail back, one charges £14.99 but is this another scam? What do you suggest & is there a way of getting my email backs striaght away? Thanks Sue
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Yes, this was a scam, and they now have controlled your account, but we have options available.
First, exactly what happens when you try to sign in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As I have forgotten my password & since then MC Helper have changed it.

I fill in a Microsoft account recovery form to request a password ***** This form asks personal details,, emails address's of people that I have recently emailed, folders that I have made, subjects of recently sent emails in order to verify that it is me. The form asked me alternative email address so that they could respond to me so I opened up a new email address *****@******.*** they then replied to me saying that because I have turned on a two step verification it will take 30 days to get my Hotmail back

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then they need to manually review your request and they will then give you access.
Is MC Helper still installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard....are you still there?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, I replied within a minute to you, but you must have missed this (scroll up and you see it)
But Ill repeat
they need to manually review your request and they will then give you access so you need to wait the 30 days.
Is MC Helper still installed?
I can also do these steps to check and remove it if you wish, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) . Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you please go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download in the top right.
Go down to "TeamViewer Quicksupport"
Click on Download and download and run the program.
It will give you an ID and a Password.
Please give me the ID (leave a space between each character eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) and the password ***** your next message to me here.
Do not close the program, but leave it open.
I can then connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

I replied to you about whether MC Helper is still connected, & it looks like you didn't receive my response so I will send it again.

As far as I am aware MC Helper is not connected anymore.

Microsoft says that they do not respond to my request due to the fact that I have turn on two-step verification.

Are you able to get my Hotmail back if not do you know a company that can?

If you can then I am happy to continue with the remote service.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, if you go to this address below
https://account.live.com/resetpassword.aspx
What do you then see?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is the form that I have filled in before & the response I received if they don't respond to my request because of the two step verification.

if I fill in this form again will you be able to see it or does it just get sent to Microsoft again?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It only ever goes to Microsoft reasons.
But as part of this process, do you see the option code to be sent to your phone or another email account?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I did, but the MC Helper must of changed the phone numbers & email addresses that I had originally supplied to Microsoft as I didn't recognize them. I then supplied them with my new alternative email address & then as mentioned I received a response from them that they don't respond to my request due to the fact that I have turned on two step verification.....which again MC Helper may have done this.

So how do I get my Hotmail back?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You cannot then.
This is the problem with a free email service such as hotmail as they offer no live support.
Your only option now is to create a new account which you can do here.
https://signup.live.com
And you have to be very very careful with any programs you install on your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have already signed up account as mentioned. However I need to retrieve all my emails in Hotmails as they contain invoices etc., to do with my work, which I need to complete my VAT return.

How can other companies say that they can get you Hotmail back? I saw another one called hotmailhelp.co.uk/supporthtml who say they can get your Hotmail back for £14.99.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
The other companies are just like that Indian companies, they are Scams and will just take your money.
You have to be careful as any company promising something like that is just a scam to get you to pay the money.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So is there no way at all that I am able to get my Hotmail back.

Apparently the last company that I mentioned to you say that you do not pay anything until they are able to get your Hotmail back.......how are they able to do so?

I spoke with a computer support company that I know yesterday who installed Eset - NOD32 antivirus 8 & Malwarebytes to clean my computer, they also said that I could possible call back MC Helper & when I see that my Hotmail is back on the screen pull out my ethernet cable out to disconnect them before I give them any payment....would this be advisable?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Also forgot to ask where are you based Richard?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
I am advising you not too as these are scams, thats all I can say. I can't go into how they do these scams.
I would not call MC Helper, they are not going to get you your account back again, and will just do more harm to you.
I am based in the US
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did see my Hotmail on the screen when they were doing the remote thing, so there is no one who will be able to get my Hotmail back.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What they do is get you to contact them so they can do more damage, mainly to get to your credit card or bank details, then ask you to pay a high price to get your hotmail account again, which you pay, but they dont give (so you maybe pay more)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thanks.

How much as this company Just Answer.......taken from my debit card service today, this is the first time that I have used them

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok what you were asked to pay, but I cannot see this (I am only an engineer here) you would need to email customer service at***@******.***
They can answer any payment questions on this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you

Where is the company Just Answer based?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Also in the US, in San Fransisco
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks help even though I did'nt sort out my problem.

My partner has just asked me.......how do I know that Just Answer isn't also a Scam, so how can I be assure of this?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
We have been here 11 years and are recognised by a number of institutions, plus even been discussed on TV
Customer: replied 2 years ago.