Chris R.
Chris R., Computer Tech
Experience:  BSBA CIS, A+ Certified
70521640

I want to save my contacts from outlook express to my bt yahoo

I want to save my contacts from outlook express to my bt yahoo account, accessed via the web. Clicking 'forward to' and then my own email address sends a list as an attachment but it doesn't open successfully.
Hope you can help.
Best wishes,
Robin
Category: Email
Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to assist you today.

You are going about transferring contacts the wrong way. You have to Export your contacts from Outlook Express as a CSV(Comma Seperated Value) file and then Import that file into the Yahoo website. On Yahoo if you click on the Contacts tab and then click Actions in the top center you will see the option to Import contacts. Choose the option to upload a file.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Chris, That's helpful but I can't see how to export an address list. The only option I can find 'on outlook is 'forward'. How do I do this please?

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Robin,

Try this.

Go to the File menu and choose the Export and then the Address Book option. Next you will need to select the Text File (Comma Separated Values) option and press the Export button. Now click the Browse button and select the location you want to save the file and file name that you want the CSV to have..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris,

Thanks again. Helpful answer. I can't find export on the file menu. I've got save as, info, open, help, options and exit options does not give an export option.

On the file menu of the address book I've got new entry, new message,delete, properties, close.

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.

I'm signing off this pc session now. Back in the morning.

Thanks,

Robin

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
It is definitly there. We can try again later.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris,

I've scoured the home page of outlook express again and clicked on the file menu. No where can I see the word 'export'. Incidentally, prior to this exercise I was trying to change my password ***** was asked to click on tools. Again, no tab or word tools is on my home page. Is there someway that my home page might be compromised?

This is going to be tricky because I can't of course show you my home page.

With thanks,

Robin

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris,

I've just gone into file and clicked on open , then the import tab. This then leads me to export and it looks like I can now follow your instructions. I'll get back in touch either to record satisfaction if it all works or ask for further help if I get stuck again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid I'm no there yet. Here's what I tried: (not quite as you describe but the only pathway I could find)

File > open > import > export to a file > comma sepaated values > (select folder to export from) here only suggested contacts came up, not address book) > suggested contacts > save exported file as > browse > word documents > file called contacts > finish

here's a sample of what saved into the word document

",,,,"Normal","False",,,"Normal"

"","alison","","shaw","","","","yoga teachers' group",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"","0/0/00",,,"0/0/00",,,,,"*****@******.***","SMTP","alison shaw (*****@******.***)",,,,,,,"Unspecified",,,,"a.s.",,"","","",,,"

",,,,"Normal","False",,,"Normal"

"","Rupert","","Alison","",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"0/0/00",,,"0/0/00",,,,,"*****@******.***","SMTP","*****@******.***",,,,,,,"Unspecified",,,,,,,,,,,"",,,,"Low",,,,"Normal"

"","Jonathon","","Allen","",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"0/0/00",,,"0/0/00",,,,,,,,,,,,,,"Unspecified",,,,,,,,,,,"",,,,"Low",,,,"Normal"

When I tried to import this it started and then blocked and stopped.

What I'm hoping for is to be able to export both the full address list as well as sub address lists.

Sorry this is proving to be a tricky one.

Robin

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Chris,

You went off the radar. I've searched the internet and have now sorted this out myself. thanks for trying.

Robin

Expert:  Chris R. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry Robin,

Just seeing your messages now. We are on different time zones and schedules so unfortunately I missed you. Glad it is working for you now though.