Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

My remembered email addresses come up with lots of added bits

My remembered email addresses come up with lots of added bits ie Commas---horizontal V shaped symbols--- the persons name often in red type. I try to remove them but they come back again ! I am over 90 and a bit thick,so any advice given in simple terms would be much appreciated. Thank you H.G.Meredith
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please which email program you are using?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and fix the issue if possible.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps for repair.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good morning Richard. The program I use is Mozilla Thunderbird.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
To remove the bad addresses, Open the Address Book.
Select Collected Addresses.
Select the entries to delete (so the ones that are corrupted).
Type Del to delete the entries.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I type Del is that the same as delete ? Thank you for the answer. I will try your advice later on in the day. Hadyn

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
That is correct
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Just one more question the email address show both the name of the person or company on the left hand side and the email address on the right. Do I have to remove everything? Hadyn

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you can just remove the email address, then remove this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you I will give it a go later. Hadyn

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. No time limit on this.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****. I have just deleted all the names which had unwanted attachments and the list now displays the persons names ,to the left, and the correct email address on the right, but when I type in the first few letters of the email address I require it shows the same as before ie the full name--a horizontal v shape at both ends . These 'remembered addresses' that pop up automatically are not what I can see on the retained list ! Please advise.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, press the down arrow to highlight it then press Delete on the keyboard.
Does this remove it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it does and a test mail has proved that it is OK. but when I want to resend with a new mail, to the same address, the horizontal V is back again at each end of the email address. Any further suggestions

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It has to still be in your contacts then its the only way it can appear.
Search through all the contacts until you find it please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to report there is not a horizontal letter V symbol on my email address list. (The symbol in No60 on my Alt codes). Would it be possible to forward you a mail showing the upper part 20 or so, of the email address list.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No sorry as we cannot exchange email addresses.
Can you make a screenshot of the window?
Do you know how to do this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I don't know what a screen shot is. I do have Ashampoo 6 program that will take a shot of any part of the screen is that of any help ?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, then upload the image via the instructions below please
- Click the following link: http://www.wikisend.com
- Upload the file to that website
- Once it is uploaded, the resulting page will display a "File ID" number.
- Please, give me that "File ID Number"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for that. I have to go out now but will come back later

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
your welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to say this is beyond my ability. The best thing is to thank you and go on deleting the unwanted bits.. Thank you for trying. Hadyn Meredith

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but if I can see what your referring to, it would help.
Its just that it would normally be contacts and we have corrected this, so it is unclear what the issue still is.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No further connection thank you. Hadyn