Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician; founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

Unable to access mail server on Outlook 2013 and windows8.

Customer Question

Unable to access mail server on Outlook 2013 and windows8.1
Category: Email
Expert:  Barun replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.
Who's your email provider, e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.?
May I set up a quick remote session (no extra charge), which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you with this issue?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Email provider is Yahoo.

Remote session is fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Haven't got an answer and you can't give iot to me by email as it is email that is not working!!!
Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** and I would be happy to assist you today.

Can you get into your Yahoo mail directly from the Yahoo website?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it is BT Yahoo mail and I have played around with it so much that it is now blocking me and I cannot release it as their page to change passwords etc is down.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
Understood. Is it now telling you that you have to wait a certain amount of time before trying to sign in again? You might have to wait until the time limit is up again before we can continue the session. Were you getting any error message in Outlook 2013 prior to not being able to access the email?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was getting a series of 0800 messages and a small window keeps appearing asking me to sign onto the server (outlook message)

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
If this just started happening it could be Yahoo. I am looking now and there were some reports today of outages. Not saying that is it, but it is very possible. I think the best thing for you right now is to wait it out for a short while. Then if the problem persists I can have a look remotely for you. If they have you locked for a certain period of time there is nothing you can really do anyway. I am online most of the days of the week, so we can always pick up where we left off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Chris

This started yesterday and I don't think that it is Yahoo.

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
What exactly does the message say when you try to sign into your BT Yahoo mail from the website?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"We've detected some unusual activity on your email account, and we think it may be compromised. As a precautionary measure, please follow the steps below to ensure your account is secure."

Try to do this and then I get a message their server may be down or has lots od activity (for two days)

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So it says you have to wait 48 hours? I didn't get your entire message. What else did it say on that page. I got the first part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it doesn't and all the other messages are from the outlook server with address mail.btinternet.com

Expert:  Chris R. replied 1 year ago.
that is the correct server to be using. I think you have to wait and then try signing in at Yahoo. Once you can confirm that you can sign in to the webmail then you can focus your attention on the Outlook