Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  A+ MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

Our talktalk router is downstairs, and the signal only reaches

Our talktalk router is downstairs, and the signal only reaches halfway into my upstairs study(so if I wear earphones to listen to TV there while on my laptop, I have to sit to the right of my desk. My printer has to be perched at the extreme right hand, hanging forward over the edge.) On days when the signal is weak, the printer either won't work, when printing from my iPad, or prints only a 'header sheet' saying 'sent from my iPad'. It will do this twenty times if I try twenty times. On other days it will effortlessly print a 35 page booklet.
I would say that the days when I can't use the printer at all, far outweigh the successful days. When using my laptop in the same room, i notice that Indicated signal strength does fluctuate enormously, tending more towards weak than strong on most days. The laptop just about manages this. The printer doesn't.
I want to buy a Wi-Fi signal enhancer, and have researched "Best Buys", but the booklet provided with the router does not specify whether it's 2.4 GHz or 5GHz, and reviews say it's necessary to know this.
Could you possibly give me any information which would help me to buy a compatible product? This would be much appreciated. Many Thanks,
Sue Hughes (Mrs. Peter Smart)
Category: Email
Expert:  Byron replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sue. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Every consumer grade wireless router provided by an internet service provider operates at 2.4Ghz. Some also operate at both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. I know of no consumer product that operates soley at 5Ghz. That being said, you won't go wrong purchasing a 2.4Ghz product.
In your situation with having to send a wireless signal upstairs I would recommend purchasing a powerline product to upgrade the wireless signal. The way these devices work is by using your electrical wiring to send the internet signal upstairs to a second adapter that then broadcasts the signal wirelessly in that area. These kits have two components. The first plugs into a power outlet by your TalkTalk router and is connected to it via a supplied network cable. The second adapter of the set is plugged into a power outlet in the area with a weak signal. The second adapter contains it's own wireless radio and provides a strong signal in the area in which it is located.
I do not recommend using a signal booster that only connects wirlessly to your router. These devices do a poor job of sending wireless signals to upstairs areas. Below is an example of a powerline kit that would meet your needs:
-
http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?categoryid=2244&model=TL-WPA281KIT#spec
-
Please let me know if you need more clarification. I will always do my best to answer your question. Your satisfaction is my top goal. If you are not satisfied with the answer I provide, for any reason, please allow me to continue to help you (or recommend you for another expert or refund) rather than giving a negative rating. A positive rating is always appreciated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to say I'm delighted with the reply, exactly what I needed, and explained so clearly.
I feel very relieved to finally have an answer.

Good job!

sue Hughes