Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

how can I stop my Canon ip 4000 printer from printing croo

how can I stop my Canon ip 4000 printer from printing crookedly?
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
We need to do a print alignment
First, can you tell me please which version of windows you are running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do I find out which windows I'm running - told you I'm a novice

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok
Do you see the windows logo button in the bottom left?
Click that, then right click computer and select properties and it will tell you there.
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and fix the issue if possible.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps for repair.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

windows 10

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, that does not exist sorry
Either windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

windows7

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank You
Click start, Devices and Printers
Right-click the printer and select printer Properties.
Click the 'Maintenance' tab and click 'Custom Settings'.
Select 'Align heads manually', and click 'Send'.
Click 'OK' to send the settings to the printer.
On the Maintenance tab and click the 'Print Head Alignment' icon.
The message below is displayed. After confirming the two points below, click 'Print Head Alignment'.
Click 'OK'. Print head cleaning starts. The power lamp flashes during cleaning operation. Do not perform other operations. After cleaning has finished, the first head alignment pattern will be printed.
After printing has finished, click 'Yes'.
Refer to the printed sheet, and select the pattern with the fewest visible vertical stripes in column A
Enter the selected pattern's number in the Column A box.
Similarly, enter the selected numbers in the boxes for column B to L.
After all numbers have been entered, click 'OK'. The following message is displayed.
Click 'OK' after confirming that paper is set in the sheet feeder. Another pattern printing will print.
When a message is displayed, click 'OK' to continue.
Refer to the printed sheet, and enter the numbers on the next screen. Select the pattern with the fewest visible vertical stripes in Columns M and N. If all the patterns seem to be similar, leave the fields at the default setting.
Once done, the alignment is completed and it should then print correctly again
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can't get past columns b-l.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
What stops you from doing this?
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when I click on OK it goes to my printer

ps no message after OK after b-l

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, likely to be part of the problem.
If you now do a print, how does it appear?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

same as before - still crooked

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, on the printer, Press and hold the button, and release it when the Power lamp blinks four times. (The Power lamp will start blinking and pattern printing will start.)
Let it print then you try a print.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

flashing orange, won't print

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the issue
It is the print head that has faulted.
This is why you could not complete the initial instructions and why it wont print when doing it this way.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for all your help. Its not easy trying to help a complete computer idiot like me. Hopefully I can get my trusty printer mended.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You were pretty good Marjorie, I think Idiot is very harsh, I would better use Hobbyist or someone with advance skills in other areas.
But you did well here!
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.