Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

In MS Word, File, Print, I can see four different versions

In MS Word, File, Print, I can see four different versions of my Canon 495 printer. One of them works fine but the other three do not. One has two items in the print Q. In Devices and Printers I can only see one version of Canon 495 so I am unable to delete the three spurious versions or delete the printer Q on one of them. (If you can't see it, it can't be accessed.) Word quick print defaults to one of the "invisible" printers which is very irritating. How can I delete the phantom versions, which also exist in PowerPoint so maybe its an Office problem?
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The problem is the printer is corrupted within windows, so we need to clear it here.
Unplug the printer from the computer if it is connected via a USB cable.
Then go to devices and printers, right click on the printer and select Remove.
After doing this, it may re-appear, if so, right click again and remove, and do this 4 times if needed.
Then restart the computer and go back to devices and printers and check it has not returned. If it has, right click and remove the printer again and it should stay removed.
Then restart the computer again and install the printer.
Once installed, it should now appear correctly.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am about to restart having deleted Canon from Devices and Printers. Will then download the driver and re-install but will lose you as part of this process.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You just return to this web page Chris and post a message when done on the results.
We can then continue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I deleted all versions of Canon 495 and re-installed. Devices and Printers now has two versions, Canon Inkjet 495 series and Canon 495 series. Print a Test Page sent it to the phantom printer which did not print and I could see it in the Q and was able to delete it.

MS Word and PPT now have 4 versions of Canon 495. Help!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Which version of office and windows are you using Chris?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 8.1

Office 2010

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
uninstall the printer again, after disconnecting it.
Make sure that when you restart the computer no reference to the printer is showing.
Go to Word and check that it is not showing there either when printing.
Let me know when your are at this point please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have removed both printers from Devices and Printers, gone back to control panel, re-opened D&P and they are definitely gone.

Word and PPT now show 3 rather than 4 versions of Canon

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Nothing at all is listed in Devices and Printers?
No printers at all? Or if so, which printers are listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

D&P lists:

Fax

HPe Print

MS XPS Doc Writer

Send to One Note 2010

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, now do the following please.
Download CC Cleaner (free) from here
CC Cleaner
(Click Download Latest Version on the top right)
Run it and let it scan and repair your registry.
Once done, restart the computer
Than
Press the windows key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Then check if word still lists the printer.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done all this (very clear instructions, thanks.) Both Word and PPT show two versions of Canon 495, one with 2 items pending as previously. D&P only shows the 4 default printers, Fax to OneNote.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, and in device and printers, what is listed there?
Anything with Canon?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Fax

HP ePrint

XPS Doc Printer

Send to OneNote

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, click start, type in
services.msc
press enter
Look in the list for Print Spooler
Double click it and select restart
Once done, then open Word and tell me if it still lists this printer please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can't see a restart option.

Under service status, I sopped the service waited 10 secs and pressed Start.

Closed and re-opened Word and PPT but both still show the tow Canon 495, one with two spooled jobs.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok,
Please click on Start->All Programs->Accessories, then right-click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. Then type each of the command lines below, one line at a time, and press the Enter key each time:
net stop spooler
del %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\*.shd
del %systemroot%\system32\spool\printers\*.spl
net start spooler
Then restart the computer and go to Word
Still its listing the printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Win 8.1 won't offer

Start->All Programs->Accessories

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, for windows 8 press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Stopped the spooler, ran the two commands and restarted, restarted computer. Both Word and PPT still show the two Canon 495, one with two jobs pending.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, press the windows key + R
type printmanagement.msc
This will open print management screen
What printers are listed there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Message

Windows cannot find 'printmanagement.msc'

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok I think you added the '
Its without the''
So just printmanagement.msc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Double checked the spelling - it was OK The ' was just in the error message. Is that command valid in Win 8.1?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, but I am not referring to the spelling Chris
you added the '
Its without the''
So just printmanagement.msc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have checked the spelling carefully - no spaces or ' or " in the command line of the Run window

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It does work on all versions of windows so not sure why you cannot get it to run.
If you can;t then we have the only final option as we have gone through all possible repairs, and that is a reinstallation of windows on the computer.
Before we do this, do you have any files you need to backup off the computer first? Programs you will have to reinstall again. If so, please copy them off the computer to an external hard drive and tell me when you have please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Am reluctant to go down the Win reinstall route - its my partner's computer and also I don't have the ability to back up to an external drive. Have tried printmanagement.msc on both the Run screen (same result) and on the command line - not recognised. I can try turning it off completely rather than restart, leaving it 10 secs and restarting. I'm talking to you from my laptop so its not a problem.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but we have to do the reinstall Chris, its the next step
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK I tried the complete Shut Down but still have the two phantom Canon 495. I've closed Word and PPT so nothing is running. Presumably all data on the disc will be untouched by the re-install? Will it wipe out things like C-Cleaner which have been downloaded after purchaseof Office 2010? Is there a repair utility for Office which might be less drastic?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
We downloaded CC Cleaner here, we can always download it again.
And yes all data will be removed, so this is why you have to back it up first please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richard

Because we can't back the data up I think we are going to call a halt here. We've gone from 4 versions of Canon 495 to 2 in the Office products and will have to find a workaround for the Quick Print and leave the two spooled print jobs somewhere in Microsoft's impenetrable depths.

Thanks for all your work this morning.

Chris

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I understand Chris, I have marked this question to never close, so if you can back it up you can return here at anytime to continue. This is no problem.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs