Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

My husband's Samsung Galaxy S Tab won't switch on. The charging

My husband's Samsung Galaxy S Tab won't switch on. The charging light is not showing that it is charging either. I've tried the forum suggestions re holding down the on + vol up buttons and also connecting it to my laptop. No joy. I'd appreciate your help.
Many thanks,
Mary
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the tab and hold the power button to off for 60 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and wait 10 minutes
Then hold the power button down for 6 seconds and release
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Thank you. I followed your directions exactly and unfortunately this has not worked,

Mary

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, now try power and volume Up and check if it gets into the recovery menu.
If not, try volume down and power.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Richard. I did each one of the above holding down for 1 minute - still nothing.

Mary

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Mary, it confirms the problem
It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it. The fact that we cannot get to the recovery window, confirms it is the mainboard that shorts out, and causes the device to stall.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the tab to have it replaced. It it will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Richard, that helps us to know what to do now. The Tab was bought in November 2014 - might you know if this is within the Samsung warranty period?

Mary

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Yes it will be, but you go to the place of purchase as they handle the warranty Maria.
Being less then a year old, they will replace it, no problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks most helpful Richard and thank you.

Have a nice day,

Regards,

Mary

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your most welcome Mary
If you need anything else, please let me know.
And please remember the service rate by clicking the smiley faces or stars please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

It is not apparent that you read my email that I sent yesterday & so I am resending copied below.

Mary

Hi Richard, Thank you for your follow up email as I was keen to let you know that the problem with my husband's Samsung Galaxy S Tablet turned out not to be a short out problem with the main-board after all and I thought that you might be interested in what evolved.

The tablet was left for 3 days until my husband had an opportunity to bring it back to the store and when the salesperson switched it on, it responded and the window opened. There was just 1% charge showing, which was consistent with our observation that the battery light was not illuminating when on charge. However, it showed charge when plugged in in the store! So in some unidentifiable way, it would appear that the tablet rebooted itself at some point during the period from Monday through to Wednesday. So apparently, another possible solution to this " tablet playing dead" problem when all else fails, may be to just leave it, off charge, for 24-36 hours.

I hope this information is of some assistance,

With kind regards,

Mary