IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have received a call this morning asking me to co-operate

I have received a call this morning asking me to co-operate with an engineer who is calling me back atg 4.00pm They are saying unless I go through certain operations re computer I will not receive any more Microsoft updates to my computer. I am an elderly lady and not sure if this is ligit. Can you clarify for me please. Also give me an idea, if authentic, what it is all about.
Anne
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.

Hello! I am IT Miro and I will assist you on this question.

Those calls are, indeed, a scam! They have been randomly calling people and telling their computer has errors that they need to fix.

They request remote desktop connection so that they can "fix" the problems directly on your computer. What they actually do is try to steal your personal documents or charge you great amount of money.

It is good you came here for an advice - please do not agree to anything they say since Microsoft or any other company won't call you when you have issues since you are the one who needs to call them and request assistance. Microsoft updates work for every computer and are automatically downloaded and installed for everyone, unless the automatic download had been manually disabled.

So, if they call again, tell them you will report them to the police. That should keep them away!

If you really require computer assistance, I can help you with that as we are a trusted company that has helped thousands of customers already.

Regards,
IT Miro