Bryan
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

My iPad will send emails but is not receiving any.

Customer Question

Hello. My iPad will send emails but is not receiving any. I have been onto Virginmedia and confirmed all the settings with them. Can you help, please?
Category: Email
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, and thank you for asking your question.
When did you first start having this issue with receiving emails, please? Also, do you get any error/message at all?
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, It all started in August last year and we have experimented and dithered since then. Just starting a serious assault on the problem! We took it into an Apple shop but they said it was a Virgin issue, so we've checked all the Virgin settings.

A day or two ago it received one or two messages and now it's given up again. I haven't kept a record of every version of the settings that I've tried, but it currently has the settings that Virginmedia gave me, and the password ***** ***** OK as it is sending successfully. There's a little figure 1 in a red circle in the corner of the settings icon, which looks as if it might be trying to tell me something, but I don't know what!

a little later ...

The bizarre thing is that it has just picked up a test from my own desktop, and one from our laptop, and all I did was reinsert a password. Is it automatically resetting something everytime it's turned off, or something of that kind?

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Hmm, it looks like your email account might be automatically deleting the emails from the server after it's retrieved on the laptop/desktop, hence they are not coming through on the iPad itself.
Do you use any email program, e.g. Outlook, Windows Live Mail, to access your emails on the laptop and the desktop?
Do keep me posted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Thanks for the tip. We have Windows Live Mail on the laptop and I have just unchecked the setting for 'Remove from server after deleting', so we'll see if that makes a difference. Settings on the desktop (Outlook) are less relevant as we don't pick up this email address on it. I'll let you know if the problem returns!

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Great, do keep me posted! Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Here's a new twist. I have just found that I can forward unopened emails from my PC to the iPad, but in order to get them through to the laptop on Windows Live Mail I have to open them first on the PC and then forward them. Do you know why that might be?