Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

My Outlook 2003 can send emails but not receive them. BT

Customer Question

My Outlook 2003 can send emails but not receive them. BT tell me that my settings/servers etc are fine. Microsoft Support tell me that 2003 is no longer supported and that it is possible my settings have been corrupted. Can you help? Johnny Dean ***@******.*** 01308 862138
NB my underlying email is***@******.***
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When you try to receive an email in outlook, what is the exact error you receive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Task 'Mail.btinternet.com Receiving' reported error Ox800CCCOF

The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues contact your administrator or ISP. The Server responded +OK8575octets

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Johnny
There can be a few causes for this so we will go through and eliminate them one at a time.
First.
Click File>Work Offline
File>Folder>Compact all folders
Let this complete then close Outlook, open it again and tell me if you can now receive.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I clicked file and work offline, then Folder - but it does not have a drop down title 'Compact al Folders'

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do it this way please
On the File menu, click Data File Management.
Click the personal folders (.pst) files that you want to compact, and then click Settings.
Click Compact Now, click OK, and then click Close.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I did all that, then unclicked 'Work Offline' and tried to receive EMails - no good - got a similar error message Ox8004210A

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I want then for you to readd the email account back into Outlook.
To do this, close outlook.
Go to Start, Control Panel
Search for Mail and click on it.
Click on Show Profiles.
Click on Add
Enter in your BT Email details and complete the setup of the profile.
Once done, click at the bottom to make the new profile the default one.
Then open outlook. You should see no email as it will start downloading them all again (can take some time) if you did my instructions correctly.
Let me know the results please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your email address, so if this is for your BT Emails, then your BT email address.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, you are dealing with a complete idiot (me) who is terrified of doing the wrong thing. I would far prefer you get into my computer but it seems to me that another £26 is just too much. Can you help? Johnny

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is an additional service Johnny, I dropped the price down a little but cannot go further then that sorry. It is a very fair price (far below a computer store), else you only have to do the instructions I gave exactly as I listed them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, Thank you for dropping the price a bit. I'm sorry to prolong my questions but can you guarantee to fix the thing for that additional price? Microsoft say they cannot help as they no longer support 2003 - Maybe the problem is insoluble - quite an expensive was to find out! Johnny

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I guarantee, if I do not, I give you a refund, but you would be the first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - what do I need to do to let you in on my screen?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
first accept the offer then I give the instructions.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard:

ID: 600 432 182

P'word: 3205

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, I'm in dreadful trouble with this EMail download - it seems to repeat umpteen EMails and is not getting anywhere near complete - can you possibly get into my screen again and see what is happening.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem Johnny
Run Team viewer again and give me the ID and Password *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry - can't find the Team Viewer now ...

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, first though, restart the computer
Then check if outlook still has the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it seems to get to message 114 and then starts repeating itself - if it doesn't turn itself off. There are a huge number of repeats, though at one stop I did try to get rind of a lot of them. The total of 35 Mb doesn't seem to change. Johnny

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, I want you to restart the computer Johnny
Then tell me what happens in outlook please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, its no good - I haven't a clue what I'm doing. I did find my way back into the Team viewer and its given me ID 600 432 182 and P'word 1970 Could you have a look for me?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Johnny
First please, as I keep asking and there is no point me connecting just to restart your computer.
Have you restarted your computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, oh dear - yes, I had already re-started the computer and it stopped again at message 114 and just seemed to have repeated the same eMails as much as a dozen times. It doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near the 350 r so Mb download. I don't have much idea how to re-enter my profile details - I really don't want to waste your time - is there any chance I can all you? Johnny

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I will connect to the computer
Please give me the ID and Password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ID 600 432 182

P'word 1970

I did this 20 mins ago - hope it hasn't timed out

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
connectd.