Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I am on Windows 8.1 and cannot open or send attachments to

Customer Question

I am on Windows 8.1 and cannot open or send attachments to emails. My ISP is BT. I also have a Notebook on Windows 7 and I can open attachments on that. I have Adobe Reader 10 and DC. I think it may be something to do with my security settings but I am unable to check this out. Can you advise me please.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

What specific file types that you are unable to open or attach? Word files? Excel files? PDF files?

What exactly is the error message that you are getting?

Please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have been unable to open any attachment, including pictures. The file types so far include Word, PDF and Winmail.

The error message when I click on the icon is simply: We are unable to open the attachment. When sending it says: We are unable to send this email, please contact your service provider.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,

Thank you for writing back with that information and I am very sorry about your email issues.

Can I remotely access your Windows 8.1 computer so that I can directly fix the issues while you watch?

Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.

Please let me know if you want this remote option.

Best regards,
Jess
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes please as I have so far been unable to complete the task myself

Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,

Thank you for your permission to do remote access. I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access.

Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session.

Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,

Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session. These steps are intended for users with Windows computers. If you are using a Mac, please reply to me and let me know so that I can send you the procedures for Mac.

1. Please click on this link:
http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=77ae8cb1-df04-420c-a36d-4ee1a64b5799

2. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button
3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.
4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.

Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,

Thank you for your patience. The issues you experienced were resolved through remote help. Your new email program Thunderbird is now running perfectly.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess