Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician; founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

When I go into Windows Live Mail, "receiving messages"

Customer Question

Hello.
When I go into Windows Live Mail, "receiving messages" comes up and never stops, i.e.
a box continues to claim to be downloading messages ad infinitum. In fact, this
prevents emails actually coming or going out. I then have to stop the "downloading"
and restart the computer when a few messages can behave normally, but briefly.
I have spoken to TalkTalk and phoned a Microsoft number who had no help to offer
but suggested this website. Any hope out there, please?
Carol M.
Category: Email
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.
When did the problem start?
May I start a remote session so I can take a look at the problem and solve it for you now?
Please reply using the box below.
Regards,
Martin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello - only just found your email, due to the problems I have

described, obviously.

The problem started a couple of days ago.

Not sure about the remote session - any other method?

Carol

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Carol.
The easiest way is to just stay on this same page, my reply will come up when I send it.
The remote session is very secure and will get your problem resolved the quickest, it will also prevent you from accidentally doing something we can't undo later.
But sure I can give you instructions.
Can you look in your Outbox and see if there's anything there?
Also check Sent items and Deleted items for emails with large attachments and tell me what you see.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing in Outbox and nothing as described in Sent nor in

Deleted.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Can you select all the email in Deleted items (or Trash) and press Shift+Delete providing you don't need anything in there?
Do the same for the Spam folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need everything in Deleted (nothing new or bearing attachments), just routine work information.

I never leave anything in Spam, so it is empty.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Carol, this is going to be difficult to diagnose properly with the description you gave me and without being able to clear the Deleted items.
I can give you instructions on how to run system restore but I would restore a previous version of your Windows Live Mail profile first - unfortunately the steps for that are a bit complex and variable to type out so here's how to use system restore.
Press WindowsKey+R type rstrui and hit Enter
(WindowsKey can be found on the bottom left of the keyboard between Ctrl and Alt and usually has a flag-like icon on it)
Go next and see if you can choose one of the oldest Restore points, or select a date where you are sure Windows Live Mail was working properly.
Go Next and let the system restore run.
Let me know when you've completed the restore.
Martin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Martin - it is clearly a complicated matter, even if I move all

the deleted items into a new folder. At this end of the day,

I feel I must abandon this method and arrange to have things

sorted on site.

Thank you and, sadly, good night.

Carol

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hmm that might be a good idea Carol, although I would give system restore a go first before spending anymore money - it won't remove any files, just revert settings and one of those settings could be the ones causing the problem.
I can hang in here until you get a result, I'd really like for you to get this solved now!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Simply took too long after my initial enquiry to get things going, I'm afraid. I naively thought it would be like an O2 live chat, for example.... Too late at night and with no guarantee.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Well the problem might be a little bit more complex than you thought Carol, or at least without being able to look at the actual problem firsthand.
I'm not sure what O2 live chat is but we can chat directly via a remote session, we also have live chat on our website but only some experts do live chats.
The jobs have guarantee of up to 30 days from when you asked your question so you have little to worry about.