Dan
Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified. Network Administrator.
1567601

Our Humax box records very well but on replaying the chosen

Customer Question

Our Humax box records very well but on replaying the chosen programme we constantly see a shadow with faint images passing across the recorded programme. How can we get rid of these 'ghosts'?
Category: Email
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question, I look forward to assisting you today. Can you tell me please how you have the Humax connected with the other devices in your setup? Specifically, what type cable you are using to connect each device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. Multipin large plug going to TV

2. Cable from aerial to Humax box

3. Similar cable out to TV

4. Power cable

PS We also have freeview box but there are no direct links to Humax

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. So you are recording programs from your local stations rather than cable or satellite then is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is correct!

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
The most likely culprit is the cable coming from the antenna. If the cable is not shielded well, any electrical energy generated by any one number of the devices near it can cause this type of interference you are seeing. To confirm this, you would need to connect a different input source into the Humax and try some test recordings. That would allow you to see the difference.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Still with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If the cable is the problem why does it not affect the other direct programmes from BBC1 BBC2 etc.? These are perfectly ok, without the ghosts. Only recorded programmes are affected by this .

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Different channels will be on different frequencies and may be the only one affected. If the cable you are using is poorly shielded, that can cause the kind of problems you are seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you recommend a cable type that will solve the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you receive my question regarding cable type required?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
First I would need to know what type of cable you are using now. Another thing you can try that might work, would be to wrap aluminum foil around the length of the cable starting at the point where it comes into the house all the way to the connector. If the cable is too long, then that might not be a viable option?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At present we use a standard coaxial cable. Your al foil idea is not really viable.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
There are different grades of coax. I would recommend cable that indicates 95% copper shield. If your cable is by chance connected from a wall outlet that is fed by the antenna, then I would try replacing just that length. Another thing to try before replacing the cable is to make sure the connector is in good condition and crimped on well. I have seen many problems caused by faulty connectors.