Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Proud to have been getting computer technicalities into working order since 1988.
13568747

Guys. trying to re-install a Dell 1350 CNW Colour Laser

Customer Question

Hi guys. trying to re-install a Dell 1350 CNW Colour Laser Printer on A Hewlett Packard Pavillion, recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 from the original installation disk. It dose install, but only gives a very basic system of printer control - no options for double-sided printing, & etc. as it used to under Windows 7.
No matter how hard I've tried, I cannot find an answer neither on Dells website nor their forums. Can anyone please help?
Category: Email
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am A. Stevens here to help with your question!
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I can locate a driver that would work..otherwise we might have to think of an alternate solution to get all the functions working. Are you connecting the printer via USB cable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. What extra info can I give you?

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Are you connected via USB cable?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Is this the same driver version you are using: 1350cnw_DRV_ENG_02-04-01-01_02-04-01-01.exe
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that, this is the one I meant: 1350cnw_DRV_ENG_02-04-03-00_02-04-03-00.exe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

at the moment, it is through a USB cable - previously it was through Ethernet, but cannot install that way(according to Dell)

The driver I have is 1350cnw_DRV_ENG_02-04-03-00_04-03-00.exe

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Great, thanks for that info, very strange but the driver for Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 must be different on this particular model
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cannot find a driver for 8.1 anywhere, though

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Would it be possible to arrange for additional services for a remote session with you so that I can try to adjust the settings to allow you to do what you want with the double sided printing?
Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
Right..I only see up to Windows 8 but typically those drivers would work with 8.1 also, we might just need to adjust some settings in your OS itself to allow these extra options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What would you like me to do?

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
We would be connecting via Just Answer's remote desktop software, there is usually a $40 fee associated, I can reduce that to $30 for you, and if I cannot resolve the problem you can definitely request a refund from customer care
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No - I cannot justify any outlay, as I am retired, and am on a very low fixed income. Thanks for your attempt, though.

Expert:  A. Stevens replied 1 year ago.
No problem...without a remote session it's quite difficult to troubleshoot this...I will opt out to allow another expert try to assist . They will be able to see what we have discussed already
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks again.

Bye

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I think that, if you right-click on whatever EXE file you have downloaded (before you install the printer from that file) for this printer, from the Dell website... and choose Properties, then go to the Compatibility tab, and then enable the checkbox, that says 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' (or similar), then choose the right Windows version from the choice control just below that checkbox, and then click on OK to save the changed setting... if you download the driver for Windows 8, and you choose compatibility for Windows 8, you ought to be able to get it working that way. But: the compatibility mode choice settings may not include Windows 8, nor anything past Windows 7, so you might have to try this on the Windows 7 driver download EXE file from Dell's webpage for downloads for your printer. Let me know if you'd like to try this, and if you need any guidance.