Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

This is an Outlook question so I don't know if you help on

Customer Question

This is an Outlook question so I don't know if you help on this subject.
I'm not sure when or how it happened but Outlook was triggered to send an e-mail to a destination which it fails to connect with. I just want to stop Outlook routinely trying to re-send the message every 30 seconds or so but I can't find out how to do this.
When the failure occurs I get a report. While Outlook is trying to send the message I open the transmit report dialogue box and can cancel the job there and then but Outlook tries again 30 seconds later.
What's also baffling me is that the e-mail Outlook is trying to send doesn't appear in the outbox so I can't delete it there either.
Category: Email
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Are you on Mac or Windows?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Windows 8.1

In Outlook, click the Send/Receive tab, and then click Work Offline.Now do you see the message in the Outbox?
If you receive this message "Outlook is transmitting the message" close Outlook and wait for it to exit. You may have to use Task Manager in Windows to make sure that the Outlook.exe process is completed. Restart Outlook again and repeat the steps to either move or delete the email message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No message showing

Try using the ScanPST program: https://www.outlook-apps.com/scanpst-exe-outlook-2013/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I get Outlook back online ????

click the Send/Receive tab, and then click Work Online.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike

I did that but there is no work online option. If I click the work offline to toggle back to work online that doesn't work either.

What version of Outlook?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2013

The Work Offline button is highlighted when it is active and not highlighted when inactive the X stays so it is confusing as usual with MS products: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Switch-from-working-offline-to-online-2460e4a8-16c7-47fc-b204-b1549275aac9
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Christ I see what you mean.

Anyway back to the original issue. I followed your earlier link and got all the way to c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15\root\office15

Then ScanPST.exe

The dialogue box said : The Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool does not recognise ( the above) . No information can be recovered.

When it opens put this in the field instead of Browse: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike

In my last response I forgot to say that I got an earlier message when I tried to define the Scan.pst file. It said that " You can scan this file but don't have permission to repair it" . It then asked if I wanted to scan it.

I've just pasted your latest suggestion to which I was told it wasn't a valid path and file name

OK are you sure you are a admin user on that computer?
You can try this: http://www.yodot.com/outlook-pst-repair/fix-error-outlook-pst-do-not-have-permission-to-open.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK Mike I'll try it but it's now early evening and I have other things I must now do. Thanks for your help. I'll pick up the trail later and let you know but I guess I may have used up all of your valuable time

OK thank you. If you are satisfied, please kindly provide an OK or Above Rating - so I get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!