Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I was trying to open some old mail files using thunderbird.

hi i was trying to open some old mail files using thunderbird. i have now lost all the emails in the local folder some 3years worth of email archive. it could be on the c: or e:.
what folder name am i looking for to reconnect the old local folder ?
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The profile folder that stores this default to a standard location but are named randomly for additional security.
The easiest way to find your profile is to click on the "Open Containing Folder" button in Help -> Troubleshooting Information. That launches windows explorer and goes to your profile folder.
when you go there what is listed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where is help?found
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I do not understand your last message...Did you follow the instructions I gave?I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you. Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse. I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps. Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong. If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me. Thanks, Richard
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
£20 plus 28 is starting to get expensive .
i am at the windows icon bottom left of the page
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, but I am only offering the additional service as I am not understanding the messages you sent to me.
You need to be more detailed please in your replies
Have you done my instructions yet? Have you read them?
Saying "i am at the windows icon bottom left of the page" Does not tell me anything sorry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok how do i get to the ----- "Open Containing Folder" button in Help -> Troubleshooting Information. from the windows start icon in the bottom left of my screen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok how do i get to the ----- "Open Containing Folder" button in Help -> Troubleshooting Information." from the windows start icon in the bottom left of my screen
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi i am not sure where you want me to go is it in thunder bird or windows
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I think you missed my first message, no problem Ill repeat
In thunderbird, click on Help, Troubleshooting Information, then Open Containing Folder.
when you go there what is listed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
C:\Users\cobalt\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\kdhkq7uo.default
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, now go back one folder so you are in Profiles,
How many folders are listed there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1.kd ...........default
2.kd,.............sbd
3.files
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then it appears you created a second profile in Thunderbird.
First, close thunderbird
make a copy of the default profile and copy this to your desktop.
Then copy the contents of the second profile into the first profile as this should have the missing emails in it. Only copy the contents, not the main folder name as you need to leave the first profiles name as it is.
Once done, open Thunderbird and tell me if you then see your emails please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should this overwrite files?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No, just copy the files from the old profile into the new one, but do not overwrite what is existing as you said its missing the local folders, so only these get copied over.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have done this but the files have not turned up.is it possible to store the local files anywhere else but here?
i rather thought they may have been stored on the e: but i am not sure,.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
be default they are in that location, but you may have moved these, rare but that is possible.
Do a search on your computer for one of the folder names missing.
Are you able to locate it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the emails were filed in 2014 2013 etc will that be visible to explorer or is it encrypted within the profile ?
no
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry just closed moxilla
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
am i still with you?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, I am still here...The folders are stored with their names.... they are not encrypted. can you do the instructions I gave you please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no i never was good at following instructions,! but thanks for support i have managed to get them all back 2009-2014 in good order thanks for your patience keep smiling
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Perfect!
And good work, glad we got them back. Its all about perseverance :)
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
?i will gladly give good rating.what did i buy for my £20.00 is it a one off charge or have i signed up to a monthly charge?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes., just a one of charge, for the service I gave you