Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have been using Windows 10 weeks on my laptop and

I have been using Windows 10 for some weeks on my laptop and have two issues.
1. I cannot view my Outlook contacts - I can access individual contacts if I start to type in a name, but not being able to view them as a whole makes managing contacts impossible.
2. More significantly, I am now getting an Outlook error message "My account needs fixing". When I follow this up I get error code 0x80070426. I cannot access Outlook on my laptop.
Category: Email
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
What happens when you try to just open outlook does it do anything? What version of outlook is this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Outlook opens but does not update i.e. it shows messages up to 21st September when the problem started.

I think it's Outlook 2003.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok when do you get the account needs fixing error? Is this happening when you open it or when you try to download new messages?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Outlook opens OK, but the 'account needs fixing' message is there, and I can't start an new email without it linking to the fix it tag. When I do this, I eventually get the error code mentioned. I have not received any email on the laptop for two days.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok look for a help menu or a ? mark somewhere and click on that. In that menu there should be an about option. It will say which version you have for sure there. I am still trying to find out whether 2003 is compatible with windows 10 or not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am on Outlook 2013, not 2003. Sorry!

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Ok good because I was able to find 2003 and it is not compatible with windows 10.
Lets try repairing the pst file and see if that helps at all.

To do that use the 2013 inbox repair tool here: Click Here
If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Freddy, the repair tool does not work. It seems I am on Outlook 2003 after all. I have also tried the MS repair tool for other versions of Outlook and they have not worked.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
That is not good as I mentioned before 2003 is not compatible with windows 10 at all.
You would either need to switch to a newer version or use the windows 10 built in mail program.
The built in program is just called mail and should come up when you search for it in the search web and windows box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Windows 10 Mail programme is what I have been using, it is called Outlook. I have been able to use this since I upgraded to Windows 10, but it suddenly stopped functioning after I got the 'Account needs fixing' message.

Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Outlook and mail are 2 completely different programs the mail program is notoutlook 2003. Outlook 2003 is not compatible with windows 10 at all the oldest that is compatible is 2007. The mail app is called mail and will say "windows store trusted app" in the search. The icon for it should be red or blue and will just say mail like this:

graphic