Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Have just upgraded to Windows 10 but the bt/yahoo mail account

Have just upgraded to Windows 10 but the bt/yahoo mail account will not work.
At first, it accepted the e-mail address and password ***** tried syncing,then came up with the error code 0x80040902 each time I tried syncing. Also the account was now showing a 16 digit password ***** I had only put in a 9 digit password. I thought I had got the wrong password ***** according to my records it was correct.
So I went into BT and changed my password ***** I deleted the Windows mail bt/yahoo account and re-entered it with the NEW 10 digit password. It was accepted, downloaded a few e-mails and stopped again. I again checked the bt/yahoo account again and it had again changed the password ***** 16 digits.
I have tried deleting the account numerous times and it downloads a few e-mails then stops again and when I check the account it has again changed the password ***** 16 digits.
It will not accept it when I try changing the password ***** the correct one unless I delete the whole account and go over it all again. What is the problem please!
I also keep getting error code 0x80040902.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you start by doing the following please.
Close all programs, then press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (admin).
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then check if you still have the issue.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
else Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you mean by the windows key + x?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
On your keyboard you have a key with the windows logo on it, that is the windows key, then you press it and X
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it says I must be an administrator
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, as you need to choose Command Prompt (admin)As per my instructions pleaseYou just just command prompt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry I have found the right command prompt and it is scanning now though v slowly
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the message actually is 'windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations'
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, but can you please complete the instructions I gave and tell me the results?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to let you know it is scanning and has been for over half an hour and has been on 11% for some time. I will let you know the results when it has completed.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The scan of the hard disc has finished now and I have re-started the computer, but the e-mail. Is still not working. At first it let a few more e-mails in, then stopped. I tried to send an e-mail but it would not go. On checking the e-mail account again the password ***** still 16 digits when it should be 10 digits. All the personal folders in my e-mail account came through originally when I first entered the account settings but the historical contents of them did not come through.
Have you any other ideas?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you remove the account from your email program
Restart the computer then add the account back again and then try to email
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. I have deleted the e-mail again and re-started the computer twice and it still does not work and still shows the wrong number of digits in the password. For a few seconds after putting in the correct password ***** re-connecting the e-mail it downloads the e-mails before changing the password ***** the wrong digits. Whatever I try it still reverts to 16 digits instead of 10.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go here please and reset your password for your email accounthttps://secure.business.bt.com/ForgotPassword/IndexOnce done, use this new password ***** remove and then add the account on the computerTell me if it then adds please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already changed my password ***** BT telephone And it did not work. I cannot change the hub password ***** this belongs to my son.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for delay but had to go out.
Have been onto the above site and changed my e-mail password. I then deleted the BT yahoo account again and tried using the 'other' account. But it keeps telling me that my BT account settings are out of date. I press 'fix account' and it again asks for my password ***** nothing happens. I also get the error code 0x80040902 again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help but I have found a way around the problem by downloading an app for the latest yahoo e-mail and attached it to the start view. This works well and I have also got all the folders I had previously opened in e-mail. This will now be the main e-mail and I have moved the Windows tile to a different area.