IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Windows Outlook 2010 will not open. Start up error occurs,

Windows Outlook 2010 will not open. Start up error occurs, license can not be verified - session shuts down. I have asked this question 3 times now and still no success.
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** tell me if you used Outlook 2010 before, but it now stopped working, or you are trying to use it for the first time. Thanks,IT Miro
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I used Outlook 2010 since 2011. I was using F-Secure to clean my computer and my Outlook 2010 stopped being able to open on October 25.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK. Are you able to open other Office-related programs, such as Word and Excel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, none of Microsoft Office will open, get the startup error and can not verify license.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
It looks like there is a problem with the Office 2010 product key, so you will need to re-enter it to solve the issue. Do you have the Office 2010 product key written somewhere?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the key but am unable to get Office 2010 open far enough for me to enter it.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
I will instruct you how to do it. Please tell me which Windows version you are using.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows 10 as of August 2015.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK. Hold on...
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Here are the instructions: 1. Right-click the Windows logo located in the bottom left corner, and select Programs and Features2. Locate Microsoft Office 2010 in the list of installed programs3. Right-click its icon and select Change4. When a new window opens, select Enter a product key5. Enter your product key6. Click Next and continue with the prompts7. When done, check the results
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have selected Change a few times but no new window opens.
The program I selected is Office Home and Student 2010 installed on 8 Aug 2015
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
A new window with several options should appear within seconds. Please restart your computer and then try again. I will be standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have pasted my key to the subscription block on the form but it comes back saying 'Please check your key
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
That's strange. Are you sure you are typing the same key that you used upon installing Office 2010?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ýes because I kept it in my download file and the key is listed as part of the title.
I have tried loading Office 2010 in Windows 7,8, Vista and XP now. Still get startup controller encountered an error. Check log files for further info. Can not verify license and now shutting down.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
A product key consists of 25 characters, and is divided into 5 blocks, something like this:XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXX Is your product key 25-character long?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it is 25 characters long and each block begins with a letter, except the last block.
Here is my key: C2974-GTK6F-HW28X-RF88X-7RTKF
What would happen if I uninstalled it and reinstalled it?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hold on, let me check if that is a valid product key.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Correct. It is a valid product key for Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So now what?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Since it won't accept it while Office 2010 is installed, I suggest completely removing Office 2010 and installing it again, with the same product key. That should solve the problem since it is seems a part of the Office installation has been corrupted.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will I lose all my data?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
None of the personal data will be removed. Only Office 2010 program files and settings will be removed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will let you know soon what happens.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
OK, no problem. Uninstall Office 2010 completely in the Control Panel (Programs and Features). After the uninstall, restart your computer, and then proceed with the re-installation. If you encounter problems, I am here to help you further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will not vanish from the program list. I have tried twice and restarted twice. The computer thinks I am changing the program as it asks for my key which it then will not accept.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
In that case, you can use the Microsoft Office 2010 uninstaller. Hold on, I will provide you with a link.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Download and start this tool: http://tinyurl.com/n7dfzcg
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
It will automatically uninstall all Microsoft Office 2010 components.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It says it is still resolving issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Removal ended at 8:58 PM. Shall I restart the computer before I attempt to reload Office 2010?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Sure, restart and then reload Office.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Office bootstrap loader still asks to recheck my license. So this has failed as well. Great. I am subscribed to Office 2016 but it wants confirmation that I have a valid Office before it will run. Now what?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Was the product key accepted when you started the installation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, as soon as I put on the form and attempt to load it, it asks me to recheck my license.Can I re download Office 2010 using my existing key?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Yes - see this link: https://www20.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/usa/registerkey.aspx?ref=backup&country_id=US&culture=EN-US
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I now have Office 2010 back but can not find Outlook.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
I just realized that Office 2010 "Home and Student" doesn't come with Outlook, so I am not sure how you had it installed in the first place. See this link for Office 2010 edition comparison:https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee523662%28v=office.14%29.aspx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looks like I had to have had Home and Business to get Outlook. Is this possible with my license key?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Microsoft used to sell their Office products separately, so there was a way to purchase and install only Outlook; however, all download links and on-line upgrade links don't work any more. They now all point to the new Office 2016 / Office 365 page. Please check if you have a shortcut for "Office Anytime Upgrade": Click Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Office Tools > Office Anytime Upgrade > Compare Suites > Buy Now (Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, sorry for the delay I needed some sleep. I am in contact with Microsoft trying to get Outlook back.Thanks very much for all your assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello IT Miro,All the problems are now fixed. I was able to download Office 2016 which restored Outlook and the rest of the Office suite.
I was able to fix my Lexmark x2570 printer myself by deleting the original Lexmark program and starting over. So far, all is well.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 2 years ago.
Hello again!
I am very glad to see that all the problems are gone now.
Let's hope it will stay like that!
If not, you know who to contact. :)
Regards,
IT Miro