Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Mozilla Thunderbird has just stopped working, no mail no sending.

Mozilla Thunderbird has just stopped working, no mail no sending. Message comes up 'Sending of password ***** user (email) did not succeed. Mail Server pop3.homecall.co.uk responded; 'Authentication failed'.
It then it states 'Login to server pop3.homecall.co.uk failed' and invites me to 'Retry' or 'Enter new password'.
I've tried all I can think of but to avail. Please Help!
Dave. (*****@******.***)
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Have you tried to reset your password *****? If so, were you able to do this?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to reset my password ***** tried to change the master password. Continue without remote support for the moment so that I can get an understanding of whats happening.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, what process Dave did you take to reset the password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Options, Security, change master password ***** tick to use it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you need to do this Dave
Click on my link below
https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx
there you reset your password.
Once done, then in Thunderbird, change your password ***** preference for BOTH incoming and outgoing server.
Once done it should then send and receive.
Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which one of the 3 options Richard
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
which 3 options do you have? as its dependent on how you setup the account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
'I've forgotten my password' or 'I know my password, but can't sign in'
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you have forgotten your password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hotmail or homecall account?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I do not understand your last message
Please take into account Dave the process is different for everyone as it depends on how you setup your account so please be more detailed in your messages to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Microsoft 'Recover your account' would refer to my hotmail which works. homecall is the problematic one run by TalkTalk.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the problem in thunderbird, its with the hotmail account right as this is what you initially indicated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I indicated my hotmail address initially as you will not be able send anything to me on my homecall account. I am getting a little confused? The problem is thunderbird, my homecall email address as originally stated. Do I need to proceed with Microsoft 'Recover your account'?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
So the issue is with the homecall account and NOT the hotmail account?
If so, then cancel this process and reset the password ***** calling
0870(###) ###-####as they stopped the password ***** link due to the recent attack
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone No. of no real value. TalkTalk website allows me change password, done so, got wait for 5 mins? Let you know if you can hang on?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok strange as when I went there it said I had to call... maybe because it has not detected me as their customerBut no rush, let me know when its applied then you can enter it in ThunderbirdLet me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. It works! Password ***** to be constructed accurately (length, uppercase, lowercase, numerals etc.) to get things moving. Got to sift through 200+, mostly spam. TalkTalk has a lot to answer for. ThanksDave.