Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

We have a website, hosted in the US, which recently had problems

We have a website, hosted in the US, which recently had problems with its outgoing email being blocked.
Tech Support from the host (a large and previously reputable company) reported:
Please be informed that, the mail IP "72.34.41.***" is blocked in different Spam databases. We have changed your mail IP to a new one with good reputation and which is not blocked in any RBLs.
We can now send mails from your account. You can verify the logs from snippet below. Kindly have a check from your end.
Judging by their English, their tech support has now moved abroad.
Is this routine, or should I consider a change of host?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues.If this particular website is hosted in a "shared" hosting environment, which means that other people are also hosting their websites in the same web and mail server, there is always a high chance that someone who is hosting his website and emails in the same server as yours, could have violated email protocols and is sending spam emails. This activity is being taken against the server IP, NOT against the spamming individual. That is, your mailing IP and the mailing IP of the other persons who hosted their website and emails in the same server as yours, is the same -- thus it is called a "shared" hosting. Though the domain names are ***** ***** resolve or point to the same IP address -- the server IP.In this manner, if someone is exploiting the mailing activity, the server IP is blocked. Thus, even though if you DID NOT do the spamming, your emails too will be blocked due to spamming. I believe this is what happened to your previous mailing IP -- someone did spamming activities and server was blocked -- and so are your emails.So to answer your question, I do not recommend changing your host. The main reason is -- this is not caused by your host, this problem is caused by the spammers who used the same server as your websites' server. This same scenario also happens to any host since they cannot control how people exploits email -- but I am sure the spammer's account was blocked or terminated by your host since they will know which account was actually causing the spam that blocked your outgoing emails. So as a result of having the mailing IP blocked by several spam monitors, it was a good move on the part of your host to transfer your server to a different and clean IP so that your emails will not be blocked anymore. You can verify this if you can now send emails without any issues. I hope that helped. Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years