Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Anyone who can use my computer can run Thunderbird. Then by

Anyone who can use my computer can run Thunderbird. Then by giving any characters as "password", or by clicking "cancel", they can read all my existing thunderbird files, including archived, sent, and inbox (but not new emails.) How can I prevent that? I do not want to protect the whole computer.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
You can only do this by protecting the entire computer via a user account.
Then create another user account that others can use.
Its the only way the computer is protected, as you do this via user accounts.
Then if they open Thunderbird in their account it opens it as new, not effecting yours.
Thunderbird itself does not support multi profiles, its all based on windows profiles as most programs and all email programs installed are.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Richard. I had not appreciated that point about profiles in email programs. I will now go ahead and create a general user name as well as my own. It does mean I will have to log in every time I switch on - not a big burden.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome, It does mean that you sign in each time but in all honesty you want that as it means your files are securely stored on the hard drive. So makes it harder for your files to be accessed if the computer is stolen, plus protects them from other users of the computer.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And please remember to rate my service via one of the stars or smiley faces then submit.