Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I have recently bought a MacBook Pro and have set it up with

Customer Question

I have recently bought a MacBook Pro and have set it up with a password. I have forgotten this password ***** obviously cannot open it. Can you help? I already have a iMac which I am using to communicate with you.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
To reset the password ***** do the following.
Power off the Mac
Right after you hear the chime, press and hold the Command and the R keys for a few seconds, then release. Soon, you'll see the Apple logo and spinning gear (or progress bar).
This will force the Mac to boot into OS X on the Recovery Partition that was created when you installed
When booting is complete, you'll see a window of "OS X Utilities." You won't do anything there. Instead, you'll go to the Menu bar at the top and select Utilities > Terminal.
In the terminal window type the following and hit Return.
resetpassword
A new window will open, like this:
Click me to open
Click on the the main volume, then select the desired user account name in the popup. Then enter the new password (twice). A password ***** is optional. Click "Save."
Go back to the Apple Menu at the top. Select OS X Utilities > Quit OS X Utilities. That will prompt you to restart the Mac.
When the Mac restarts normally, you'll be able to log in to the administrator account with the new password ***** defined above. From there you can manage the rest of of the users if necessary with System Preferences > Users & Groups.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I 'shut down' or power off no chime is heard. Volume is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The editor removed the second line here sorry, you need to power it off, then power it on and its then when you head the chime (on the power on).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Richard I am into computer but I am now being asked for a Commenter "login" keychain. What is this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should read Commenter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should read CommCenter.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
This is the password ***** the saved passwords on the Mac, as you cannot remember this you need to reset it.
To do this
Open Keychain Access, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder within Finder
If keychains are hidden, choose View > Show Keychains.
Select a keychain in the Keychains list.
Choose File > Delete Keychain (keychain name).
This will then allow you to recreate it.
Glad we got you back into the Mac, If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I seem to be digging the hole deeper. I have got to 'keychain access. Deleted keychain in File. This has cleared all the keychain list but cannot recreate. Clicked on the padlock and now coloured wheel is permanently circulating.?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, restart the Mac please and it should then function.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Restarted and 'system was unable to unlock your login chain appears. 3 choices, 'continue login' 'create new keychain' 'update keychain password' Which is correct?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Choose create new keychain
Tell me what it then does please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keychain Access screen with all details. sub screen "Sign in to iMessage.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, should now be able to use the Mac again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iMessage asks for new password ***** email address. Keychain access padlock is unlocked.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The iMessage password ***** ***** your Apple ID, as you reset the Keychain you need to enter this in again, as with any saved passwords on the Mac.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard all appears to be working now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Perfect!! and your most welcome