Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Windows 10 has screwed upmy familiar way of dealing with

Customer Question

Windows 10 has screwed upmy familiar way of dealing with things. For example I can no lomnfer see the shortcut icons on the desktop screen as before. Also in Outlook each mail item had a red delete button on it - but not any more.Can these things be sorted?
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, can you tell me if you still have the programs the icons link to please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - I still have them and indeed they can be seen and activated by pressing the 'desktop' tab on the bottom of the screen. They then appear in a list from which I can choose the appropriate programme. As you can see, access is 'doable' but not as convenient as when each shortcut icon was on my desktop screen on fire-uo. Does that make sense? Incidentally, I am quite happy to have these icons on the new W10 start-up screen if that is easiest.The other problem (delete buttons on each mail item) bugs me equally as much.Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you can drag them to the desktop from the start menu and it will create the icon for them.
So drag the icons from the start menu to the desktop
For the delete buttons you cannot change this, you would have to use a different email program such as Thunderbird which is free
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Richard, but I THINK it was the other way around. I can't see the desktop in the way could with my previous version (windows 8???). Before I upgraded I would get a desktop screen with my own screensaver surrounded by lots of short cut icons which I had created. It is this which has disappeared and has been replaced by what seems to be a Windows 10 startr screen. The only way I can get the orignal desk top icons is, as I said previously, by pressing the 'desktop' tab on the bottom right of the screen which recveals all my origibal short cuts but now in list format. i want to go back to how it used to be - as I said to my first wife before we divorced!!!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that is gone in windows 10. Most people complained about it so much they removed it.
But you can enable it again by doing the steps on my link below
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-tip-swap-between-start-menu-and-start-screen
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It must be me, Richard. I can't get the taskbar and start menu properties up. Help???
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
where do you get stuck?
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you go on line and do it for me I will never learn. Can we continue this way Please? Just tell me where to go on my start screen and I will do whatever you say.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, well you would see me do it, but the instructions I gave showed everything, so I need to know please where exactly you got stuck in the instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first instruction I get from the link you sent is to navigate to the desktop and click on a blanmk area of the screen.. Tried this - but I don't get the expected result. Where is the desktop - apart from where I have already mentioned - i.e.in a list on the start screen when I press the desktop tab at the bottom right of my screen almost next to the white on black internet access tab
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
it says navigate to a blank area of the Taskbar, not desktop
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I think the task bar is that which runs along the bottom of my screen and which shows icons for Firefox, Google, settings, Word, Outlook and the like. If that is right, when I hover over a blank area and right click I do not get the expected panel appear. Am I doing something wrong?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
That is correct.
I cannot see what your doing so do not see what your doing wrong, but its a very straight forward procedure so I am lost why we are having so many issues doing it (though I gather you where not reading the instructions before correctly when you choose desktop instead)
What is it you see when you right click
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I right click on a task bar space I get a box appear which has thre ticked items in it - Show app icons; Show all notifications icon; Show touch keyboard button. I can't get the expected box as described in the link you sent to me.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Properties will be there, if this is windows 10, it will always appear at the bottom.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is windows 10 and the expected panel is not appearing when I right click on a space in the task bar. What am I doing wrong? Can we speak on the phone?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes I am providing the instructions for windows 10, I work online here and have offered the remote service option to show you on the computer how this is done.
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, let's go with the remote connection. I will be interested to see how I have been doing things wrong.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
889(###) ###-####Is that all you need?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi RichardDo I need to be doing something or waiting for you?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
connecting now