Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I received several emails from one email address that appear

I received several emails from one email address that appear to come from 2 different people without them acknowledging this. As my account was compromised a few weeks back, I'm keen to find out where these emails are coming from and also, if possible, from whom (i.e. one or more people). Is there a way I can do this? The mails do not make sense if they come from 'one' person only.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeEven if they are forwarded they will still have the original IP addresses that you track on.But first, from which accounts did they originally come from? eg: Yahoo, Hotmail? And ISP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
icloud
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the IP Addresses will be of no use sorry, as they will be from the iClouds server, not from the computer itself (as they send it via Apples servers directly).Are the emails threatening in anyway?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not threatening in themselves, but it is clear identity is being witheld. They were forwarded from gmail. Does that help?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, thats just as bad sorry, as its the same concept the location would only come from the server of Gmail, not the person themselves.You really one option here which is how people do get traced. You get a court order and take it to Google to release the IP address on their server assigned to that email they sent. Then with the IP you take another court order to the Internet Service Provider to get the Address of the person. Thats how law enforcement do it. But you need to court orders, and trust me, Google will fight it a lot, so you would need to be prepared for a wait and a large investment in legal fees, but technically thats the only way you can get this done.In effect, when your not the government, its pretty much impossible, and why Gmail, iCloud and these public services are used for these kind of things.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to find the identity of the sender with the help of spokeo - with success in that a picture was provided and I imagine each icloud address is unique. Yes, I found that out from our IT department at work, who suggested I try you. Could you answer my last query please? I should probably have said I do have an 'apparent' sender name - in fact two, but that's where it gets rather odd, as replies are from one of the two, regardless as to whether one or the other is written to - and this just doesn't make any sense.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can change the sender name for each email, in effect you can even change the from address. That's really simple, so you can make an email look like it came from anywhere.Here is one such site where you could do this.http://www.sendanonymousemail.net/you can see that you can set any from address.And the from name, you can change in Gmail or any service in a few clicksThis is why you should not rely on the information, and all Spoeko does is links the email online to a photo (your better using Google to search for this) but again, as any email can be used, it does not prove anything, so I would not go on it. If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In this case, the photo was of a young Korean woman who is quite well known and the name matched the photo. I should add that the email was not originally addressed to me, but forwarded to me for info by a person staying with me - who does know the identity of one person - or possibly does.I think this situation is rather complicated, and it could be related to photographic exchange, not necessarily a healthy exchange. Is there anything else you can suggest? I have to serve up a meal now but will look bback here later. Thanks.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can do a image search on the photo and see what other photos like it come up.Use this link here for thishttps://images.google.com/If you really feel the photo is of the person, this can provide more information on itAlso see if there is any information in the photo eg: GPS coordinates, which you can do on this website herehttp://exifdata.com/If you get GPS coordinates, paste it into Google Maps http://maps.google.com and it shows you the locationThats the three options you would have on this.