Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

Have been using Thunderbird without problems 6 months

Customer Question

Have been using Thunderbird without problems for about 6 months - my Outlook just stopped working, couldn't send emails etc., etc. Initially it was fine and I added the calendar which worked fine. I changed my iPhone to an android (Galaxy SM-J110F, android version 4.4.4) in early January and synced calendars using BirdiSync which was successful until about 2 weeks ago, when the calendar disappeared from Thunderbird and gradually the mail stopped working effectively and now I am unable to open Thunderbird. Have closed and restarted computer today but still to no avail. I have attempted to download Thunderbird again but this hasn't worked. I can only think I will have to uninstall and reinstall new download, but I am not sure where all the data is stored and I am unable to afford to lose emails. Can you help, please?
Roger
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Hi there Roger and welcomeWhat exactly happens when you try to open Thunderbird now? And which version of windows do you have?Please let me know,
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thewre is no response to double clicking desktop icon, clicking taskbar icon or going into the file and double clicking in file explorer. I have Windows 10
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, right click the icon and choose Run as AdministratorDoes it then open Roger? I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you. Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse. I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps. Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong. If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me. Thanks, Richard
Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Can you go to www.teamviewer.com Click on Download for Free Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ID: 459 136 626
Password: 434dsv
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
connecting now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thunderbird now opens but still is not working properly. Unable to jump between accounts, and still no calendar. Unable to open new email to write
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
can you run team viewer please and give me the password
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
password ***** TeamViewer open
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Reset was to 26 Feb, not 4 weeks ago. Able to open Thunderbird but still same problems, not working as it should.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still there Richard?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
yes, download and run the installation file from my link https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/once done, restart the computer and tell me how it now functions please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Still not working properly Richard. Layout not correct, can't open account features (mail. sent etc) and write tab doesn't work as do reply and forward tabs not work. Same as before really. Sorry
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, not your fault!But we are going to have to reinstall Thunderbird and we will have to see if its going to pick up the emails, as we cannot export them in this state.Can you run Teamviewer and I can do this then.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will have to download TeamViewer again. I can't afford to lose my emails and personal folders.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ID 459 136 626
Pass 7959
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
connected
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you know the filename and location where the contents are stored?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
It is under C:\Users\<Windows user name>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\<Profile name>\You will see them there
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry Richard, that pathway doesn't exist .......Application Data/Microsoft .... is all that's there. I have to stop now, can we pick this up in the morning?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
I wont be back till Monday, but I can connect and get it for you now, but the whole process will still take an hour. Should we resume Monday?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Richard, that's fine with me. Any particular time?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
9am till 9pm your time I am here
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I'll contact around 10 UK time
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Managed to sort out over the weekend, Richard. I'm rather busy at the moment but will get back to you in a few hours and let you know how I did it if you are interested. Please let me know.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
no problem, and any information you can share would be appreciated.Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello again Richard, as you know I was concerned about losing data if I uninstalled Thunderbird and the path you gave me didn't work. I discovered however that AppData folder was hidden, and once I had sorted that I could get into the Thunderbird data folder, which I saved to external drive. I then uninstalled Thunderbird and reinstalled from the Mozilla site. Same problem - difficult to open and when open non functional as before but no loss of data. I tried again but same result. I then searched for Thunderbird downloads and came across an older version (24.0) at http://mozilla-thunderbird.en.softonic.com/download. I installed and ran and it appeared as before, fully working apart from a message that it wasn't compatible with Lightning add-on, so I couldn't recover the calendar - I could live without that since it's on my phone anyway. I then allowed it to update then same problems as before, it lost its functionality and eventually unable to open from desktop. Had to uninstall and reinstall and no loss of data again. I'm using it as it is and not updating it. I think it must have been the updates that eventually knackered it. I will go on the Thunderbird forum and post and see whet happens in the near future.
Hope this is useful for you Richard and thanks for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
It does and thanks, ***** ***** a similar approach ready but that was to use a tool called revo uninstaller to do the uninstall and reinstall as thats the clean reinstallation.But thank you for the feedback