IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I have been unable to use my computer in London. Microsoft

Customer Question

I have been unable to use my computer in London. Microsoft has closed down my email. They seem to have the impression that my email address is:***@******.***. I have not used this address for years. My present email address is: ***@******.***.
Can you please help?
***** *****
Category: Email
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is***** am a certified computer professional who will assist you with the problem you described.Please tell me what exactly happens when you try to use***@******.***?Do you get an error message?I am awaiting your reply.Thanks,IT Miro
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes, I get an error message. I received an email (via the hotel in which I am staying whose email address is***@******.***) from Microsoft Account beginning "We recently received a request to recover your Microsoft Account***@******.***...". I had not been trying to recover this account which I closed several years ago. I had asked them to recover my account***@******.*** which I had been using for several years.Do you need any further information?Thanks for your help.***** *****
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Please click on this link:http://www.hotmail.com/ and then sign in with***@******.*** and the correct password. Let me know if you were able to do that, or you received an error message. If you received an error message, please type it here.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have still not bee able to access my***@******.*** account. I do not want to change this name. Can I just change the password ***** the password ***** have been using keeps being rejected as incorrect? I have received some incoming emails but am unable to send any in reply.
Thanks, Barbara
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Barbara! In case your e-mail account is not accessible due to incorrect password, or because you are accessing it from another country so it is temporary locked, you will need to reset the password ***** will grant you full access to it. I checked***@******.*** and to reset the password, you first need to confirm you are the owner. To do that, you can receive a security code to a phone number ending in 44. Do you still use that phone number?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am in London at the moment, so perhaps that is why my email is not working. My usual place of residence is Melbourne, Australia, where my landline telephone number is ***** 9867 5544. However, I can be reached here in London on:(###) ###-#### You could text to that number, and give me the code that way.RegardsBarbara
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Hello! Since the account is registered in Australia, and you access it most of the time while you are there, it is now asking additional verification since you are in another country - United Kingdom. That is to prevent unauthorized access, so knowing the password ***** ***** enough.You should be able to normally sign in to your Hotmail account once you return to Australia. But, if you want to access it while you are staying in London, or anywhere else, you need to confirm the code that can be sent to the associated phone number ending in 44. Only the associated phone number can be used for the verification, so unfortunately, you other phone number cannot be used. If the associated phone number is ***** landline number, the automated machine can call it and tell the code. Is there someone at your home who might pick up the call, write down the code that the automated machine will tell, and then send the code to you?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No - unfortunately there is not anyone at my home in Melbourne, Australia, to take the call and write down the code.
Any other suggestions?Barbara
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Do you happen to have another @hotkey.net.au e-mail address? Also, are you able to read new e-mails sent to***@******.***?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I do not have another @hotkey.net.au email address.
Yes, I am able to receive new emails sent to***@******.******** *****
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Since you can receive new e-mails, I will request a security code to be sent there. Once you have received it, type the code here.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This is the security code you sent to me. We arestill receiving emails but cannot send them.Barbara
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Hello!When I requested a security code to be sent to you, two days ago, the Hotmail system recognized***@******.*** as a Hotmail account; however, now it says it isn't recognized any more. May I know if you have made any changes to your account within the past several days?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The computer told me to change to outlook. I thought I had to do this to correct the problem. Try***@******.***
I do not want to keep this email address as my permanent address. I want to revert to***@******.*** as soon as possible, but I cannot give this instruction to the computer.Barbara
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Hello again! Happy Easter! Yes,***@******.*** is the new Hotmail (Microsoft) account. When you confirm the security code, you can revert it to***@******.*** A new code can be sent to***@******.***, and I will request it now. Please check for it and when you receive it, type it here. Note that the code is valid only for a short period of time, so type it here as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I HAVE SENT THE CODE YOU GAVE ME.BARBARA
Expert:  IT Miro replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Barbara! A security code, once requested, needs to be used within 20 minutes. For that reason, the code "1723078" has expired. I wanted to assist you with the account verification and the password ***** myself, but since it seems we are not on-line at the same time, I will go ahead and provide you with the instructions on how you can request a new security code yourself and use it to unlock your account. Here are the instructions: 1. Open a web browser and type this address into the address box: https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx If you are reading this message on your computer, just click on that link 2. Select I forgot my password ***** click Next 3. In the Email or phone box, type***@******.*** 4. In the Enter the characters you see box, type the characters from the picture. If you cannot see them properly, click on the New button to generate new characters 5. Click Next 6. You can then request a new security code to be sent to you. Select Email [email protected] and then just type bjperry into the box 7. Click Send code 8. A new security code will be sent to***@******.***, so go ahead and check for new e-mails. Do not close the page that is asking you to enter the code 9. Once you can read the new code, type it in the Code box and click Next 10. You will then be asked to type a new password. Type a password ***** you haven't used before, and then re-type the same password, and click Next 11. Your account will then be unlocked and you can fully access it with the new password ***** entered Let me know if it worked. Regards,IT Miro
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your help. I went through all the steps you advised right up to the end when I was told to sign in to***@******.*** As I said this was my old address, but I have not used it - or paid for it - for some years!I am now giving up. I'll be returning to Australia shortly and I will fix it up then. Thank you for all your help. I am extremely grateful.Barbara