KamilAnwar1
KamilAnwar1, Exchange & Email Consultant
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

I want to move all gmail and contacts to a new account and

i want to move all gmail and contacts to a new account and close the old one but despite following google help verbatim it just will not happen
Category: Email
Expert:  KamilAnwar1 replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer. May i connect with you remotely to troubleshoot the issue directly? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes please
I sent request for remote service. Please accept it then follow steps here to connect with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am feeling very unsure here, are you going to fix the problem or are you going to keep asking for more money?
There are two ways to continue with support.1. I discuss it with you here and troubleshoot via text (it can take a long time) but this is what you paid for.2. I connect with you remotely, and fix it. ($26 additional)If its not resolved, you will be able to request a full refund.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already paid £39, what does that co
1. I discuss it with you here and troubleshoot via text (it can take a long time) but this is what you paid for.
Option 1 (here) via chat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, lets chat and fix the problem please
Okay. Are you accessing the gmail account via the gmail website, and want it moved to the other account (which is also accessed via the Gmail) website OR do you access these accounts in an email application like Outlook, Thunderbird etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the new one is accessed via gmail website and the original is on my macbook mail app
Are the contacts on the mail app? And will the new one be used on the mail app?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the contacts are on the mail app, the new one is being handed over to another person and the end of the process, I am trying to make the new one so that I can give it to another user to change password ***** i will have nothing further to do with the account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The contacts are not really important as they could be added later, there are only about 30 or so, its all the old emails that i need to move
Okay. And when you want to move them, do you want it to keep the copy in the old account (or delete the copy)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
initially keep them but as soon as the new account works properly i want to delete the old one completely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the new one is called***@******.*** and the old one simply***@******.***
We can try to do it in realtime, you'll be able to see how it goes:While logged into the new account (via web) go here: https://myaccount.google.com/security?utm_source=OGB&pli=1scroll down, and turn on allow access for less secured apps, then configure the new account in the mac mail, and copy only 1 mail to the new account's (inbox) - once done, check to see if the copied mail is showing up. To copy, just drag and drop it to the new account's same folder.
Make sure, new account is configured as IMAP. Otherwise, it won't be uploaded to the server.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have opened the new account and allowed access to less secure apps but to be honest I don't know how to configure etc
In Mac Mail, go to the Mail menu and click on Preferences. Click the Accounts icon in the Mail Preferences window. Click + to create a new account.
Once added, make sure account preferences show it up as an IMAP account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will i be able to remove it from my mac after
Yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I've done the configuration and the account is in the app
go back to preferences, accounts and choose it from the left pane. in the right pane, see if you see the word imap in it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it says IMAP
now drag 1 mail from the old accounts inbox to the new accountgo to webmail, and see if that mail is there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes it is there
Great. Now drag all mails from the old account to the new account using this method, you can select multiples (but make sure you're doing it to the same folder in the new account where they are in the old account). Once done, they are all copied to the new account. You can then go back to Preferences, and delete the account (by selecting it from the left pane) and choosing the - sign. Let me know if you have any further questions, if not then please rate my service by clicking the star icon on the top right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are over 500 emails
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
almost 600
Even if they are 10,000 (doesn't matter). Select All and drag it to the new accounts folder. You don't need to select 1 by 1.
CTRL CLICK on one of the emails (from top) scroll down the mail list at the bottom, ctrl click the last one, drag them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can i move the contacts or is that too complicated
Not complicated, but i think lengthy. You have to first export all contacts, and then import them via the webmail. I can tell you how if you want to do that too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
probably easier to enter them manually, thank you for your help, I finish the mailbox transfer then do the rating
Welcome. :)