Byron
Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience:  A+ MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
13274453

Quite often when I shut down Windows 10 the process of

Customer Question

Quite often when I shut down Windows 10 the process of shutting down starts then stops and the following message appears:
Task Host Windows
Microsoft\Windows\DeviceDirectoryClient\RegisterUserDevice
I always take the option to shut down Windows anyway because I don't know what the message means. Can you help, please?
Category: Email
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

Hi Laurie. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.

Please change this setting:

Right-click on the start menu button and open Control Panel

set View by (in the upper right corner) to Small icons if necessary and

open Power Options

On the left side of the page click "Choose what the power buttons do"

On the next page click "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

and remove the checkmark from the box labeled "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"

click Save Changes and restart the computer.

Once the machine comes up, do a shutdown and check if you're still getting the message.

Let me know the result please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry - it didn't work. Same message (which I didn't copy completely before): "Task Host Window - Task Host is stopping background tasks (Microsoft\Windows\DeviceDirectoryClient\RegisterUserDevice)". Do I go back into Control Panel and reverse the changes made above?
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

Yes you can. I'm looking in to another option.

Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

Right click on the start menu button and select Run.

In the text area type: msconfig and click OK.

Click the Services tab at the top and put a checkmark

in the Hide all Microsoft services box.

Click Disable All>>Apply>>OK

Restart the machine and when it comes back up do a shutdown and

let me know if you're still getting the message.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Didn't get the message this time but then I don't always get the message on every shutdown. Fingers crossed. But please explain what "Hiding all Microsoft services" has actually done and whether a future occasion may arise when hiding them all is not the best thing to have done?
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

Task host is a Windows program that attempts to shut down running programs and services when Windows is shut down or restarted.

You're getting that message because it is getting hung up trying to shut down a non-Windows component. When Windows

starts up the only things necessary to start the operating system are Windows components. All others can be started as needed.

Hiding non-Microsoft services does no harm to the system.

Let me know after using the computer for a couple of days how things are going.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

Certainly. I'll be contacting you but don't hesitate to get back to me if the same thing

happens again before then.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks again, I will get in touch if the same thing happens again - but so far so good!
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

OK. That's good to hear. These questions never close so you can come back any time.

If you could take a moment before leaving to provide a rating using the stars at the top of the page, then submit,

it would be much appreciated.

Byron, PC Support Tech
Experience: A+ MCSE 11 years at a large law firm.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks again, Byron. The message hasn't appeared again so it seems all is well. It is a bit disconcerting that 'hiding' services includes progress on, for example, installing windows updates. I like to know what the PC is doing and how long it might take to complete background tasks. That said, I prefer not having the "can't shut down" message! Should I have any further questions I will ask for you again.
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.

Hi Laurie. Hiding Microsoft services before disabling the rest excludes Microsoft services from being affected.

The rest of the services still run as well but only when the program associated with them is launched.

In Windows 10 you can see the progress of a Windows update.

If you open Settings>>Update & Security>>Windows Update (it's the default screen),

if a Windows update is in progress you'll see a progress bar moving from left to right.