Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I am in charge of running a small office US Non-Governmental

I am in charge of running a small office for a US Non-Governmental Organization working in rural Mozambique. We have 8 laptops which need to receive email from our head office in the US. The laptops came from our supplier who is based about 1,300 km away, in the capital city, and came with Outlook already installed. However, we need to configure Outlook to log in to a secure email server in the US, to download and upload emails. We received a general instruction as to how to configure Outlook from the IT Dept at our Head Office, and followed these instructions. However, these are general instructions as to how to configure Outlook, and after following the instructions, Outlook is not working.
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please which version of outlook you are using?

And what are the settings they gave you for connecting to the server?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Richard. This is Ray here. Our Outlook is 2016, and the platform is Windows 7.The instructions we received are as follows:
Set up Gmail with Outlook, Apple Mail, or other mail clients
You can download messages from Gmail and see them using a program like Microsoft Outlook, Apple Mail, or Thunderbird, even when you aren't online. This process is called POP or IMAP, and is free for all Gmail users.
Tip: We recommend using IMAP if possible because it’s the best way to make sure you can see all your mail at any time on all of your devices. If you'd like to use POP instead, learn how to enable POP.
Step 1: Enable IMAP
You can retrieve your Gmail messages with a client or device that supports IMAP, like Microsoft Outlook or Apple Mail.
1. Sign in to Gmail.
2. Click the gear in the top right .
3. Select Settings.
4. Click Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
5. Select Enable IMAP.
6. Click Save Changes.
Note: This setting is not available while using the basic HTML view of Gmail. To enable IMAP, use the standard view instead. Find out more aboutstandard view and basic HTML view.
Step 2: Set up your client
Use the table below to update your client with the correct information.
Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server: imap.gmail.com
Requires SSL: Yes
Port: 993
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.gmail.com
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for SSL:: 465 or 587
Use same settings as incoming mail server
Full Name or Display Name: [your name]
Account Name or User Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)Email Address: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)Password: your Gmail passwordYour Helpdesk Team-
Jose Medina
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, then you need to add the Gmail account to outlook.

To do this, open Outlook, choose the File tab.

Then choose Add Account.

Enter in the Gmail address, the name of the person and then password.

Click next and it will then be added.

This is all you should need to do

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have done all that, and when we press the "next" button at the bottom right of the screen, Outlook tests the account settings, and then returns with the following error message:
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

This is because it appears to be rejecting the login.

If you go to www.gmail.com

can you sign into the account there?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As I mentioned, we use a secure email system, within gmail. For internet email access, we log in via a gateway with the following address - "https://gmsso.jsi.com". When we try the route you suggest, we are transferred back to the address in the previous sentence.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, not normally how it is set up, but then you set up the email manually in outlook.

So when you go to add an account you see at the bottom to add the account manually.

Choose this.

Then enter your name, email

Incoming server is

imap.gmail.com

Outgoing is

smtp,gmail.com

ussername is ***** *****

password ***** ***** password.

Then click more settings.

under outgoing server select to use a authentication and the same as the incoming server.

Then ho to advance.

The incoming port select SSL and enter in port 993

the outgoing port select SSL and choose 465

Select ok, then choose to test account and tell me if it passes or fails and the exact message please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Richard. We are following your instructions, and have a question. On the advanced tab, should we choose SSL for the type fo encrypted connection, or leave it blank? R
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

SSL for the encryption, exactly as per my instructions please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We followed the instructions, and are still getting a failure to log on.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

it still says it rejected your login?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Correct. The error messages read as follows :
-"Log onto incoming mail server (POP3). Your incoming (POP3) email server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this email, contact your server adminstrator or internet service provider (ISP). The server responded *OK Gimap ready for requests from 197.218.203.246 bn1
-Send test email message : your email server rejected your login. Verify your username and password ***** this account in Account Settings.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, it means the password ***** username is ***** ***** as we have used the exact settings that were given.

You will need to contact the administrator who provided you the settings and have them confirm the username and password ***** the server is saying this is incorrect.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How come we can access the account via internet email and not via Outlook?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

he will need to check but you see the message

your email server rejected your login. Verify your username and password ***** this account in Account Settings.

It is telling you it is incorrect, else it would not give an error that it is.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We changed one detail on the Add account dialogue box. On the line Account type, we changed from POP3 to IMAP, and tried to log in. We are now getting a different error message, as follows:
Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: Please log in via your web browser. https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 (failure)Could it be that Outlook is the problem? Would another laptop installed programme, like e.g. Thunderbird or Outook Express work here?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, in my instructions you had to use imap which is the server I gave imap.gmail.com

But now what it needs, and what I tried to get you to do before.... is sign in at www.gmail.com

Before you said you could not, which is very strange and was not very clear why....

Can you actually go there and sign in please?

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Richard. Sorry for our mistakes. But on the issue of signing in via the www address, we did what you said and already responded that it only takes us to the portal address which I sent you.As to remotely coming into the machine - this could be good, but I am using my own laptop to communicate with you, and we have one of the new laptops in question also on the desk here, to implement your instructions on that machine, without having to interfere with our conversation or switch windows etc....
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

that will be no problem, accept the remote and I give you the instructions so I connect to the other computer

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

On the desktop computer

Can you go to www.teamviewer.com

Click on Download in the middle of the page

Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect

Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Richard. The ID is 584 396 118 and the password ***** *****
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Thanks,

Connecting now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Richard. Here are the details of the work laptop. ID 584 458 285, and the password ***** ***** R
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

it says the password ***** ***** please check it

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the password ***** *****
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

it is not, as it is rejecting it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do I need to switch off the anti virus? it is new and Kapersky.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

no, the password ***** ***** else it would have connected

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I promise we have checked and re-checked. Maybe I should sign off the session and start a new one to try to get new details?
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

yes, restart the computer please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, restarting.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok, there was some sort of problem - I think it was becasue of a wi fi mouse that was connected to the laptop. laptop is now re-started and the new details are as follows: ID 584 458 285, and the password ***** *****
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Many thanks, ***** ***** a good one! Ray
PS It looks from this end like I don't need to do anything else for you to be paid. Is that right? R
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

your welcome, was my pleasure.

Everything on your side has been done that is needed.

Thank you for asking

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Once again, best of luck. R