Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I have been lock out of my laptop it's saying I need the

I have been lock out of my laptop it's saying I need the recovery key. I followed the instructions on the screen and now have been locked out of my account as I updated it
Hiw can oi a cess my laptop please
Penny
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Hi Penny, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Are you using Windows 8 or 10? If yes, is the username in your laptop an email account? What is the email account so that I can check the recovery options?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's windows 10 and the email for account is my user name
It's***@******.***
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information. Please give me a moment to check for your recovery options

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

I have checked for your recovery options and you only have one. Are you still able to access the email address ending with @glenrothes-y.co.uk? If yes, please tell me the username part, that is, the part before @glenrothes-y.co.uk.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The user name is penny.lorimer but I can't access that email anymore
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, that is the only recovery mode for your account that we can recover it faster. Can you please tell me why are you no longer able to access it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was a work email and I have now left
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, I understand. Recovery now will be crucial. Are you using a computer to chat with me now? If yes, have you used that computer to access the Hotmail account before?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No using my phone as laptop won't let me do anything without recovery key
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Do you have other computers besides the laptop that is now locked?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Ok Penny. Since the recovery email (the work email) is no longer accessible, your next recovery option is to send the recovery form. Have you already tried that?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What's that all I got was to change email and phone number and my account would then be suspended for 30 days
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Oh, so are you saying that your previous password ***** ***** working but you are stuck on that screen? Can you please tell me the last password ***** used so that I can check from my end?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The last password ***** used was skyebro 123
On my screen it has the bit locker and I have to enter the recovery key that's all its showing a
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, thank you for that information.

Now, let me walk you through the process of fixing this since I cannot remotely access your mobile phone to do it for you. Please do the following:

1. Open a new browser tab
  2. In that browser tab or window, please manually type this address:

http://hotmail.com
  3. You shall get a login page is you are NOT yet logged in. However, if you already tried to login lately, you shall see the page entitled "Your security info change is still pending"
  4. In that page, please click on the NEXT button
  5. Then follow the on screen procedures and you shall be able to access your Hotmail.
  6. If you are stuck after pressing the NEXT button, please let me know so that I can assist you further.

Keep me posted.

Jess

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't understand I can't get off the page on my laptop to access anything do you want me to access my hotmail for a reason
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

The procedures I gave you must be done on the phone. You tried to change the security information and thus it is asking for a code. So please try to access the hotmail account on your phone and follow the steps I gave you so that you will then be allowed to access it normally without the code. After being able to access it on the phone, you shall be able to login to your laptop.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

If you are stuck after tapping the NEXT button in the screen that I described, you can also tap the "cancel this request" link on that same page.

That way, your Hotmail account will be restored to its original state and your laptop shall be able to authenticate without issues.

After being able to access the laptop, you can create a new Admin user account as an alternate account, then proceed to changing the security information of your Hotmail again. If you are locked out, you can use the alternate user account.

Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

If your laptop is still stuck in asking for a code even after doing the procedures on your phone, please restart the laptop and try signing in again.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can access my hotmail from my phone but still nothing with my laptop still stuck on the same screen looking for recovery key
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Please restart the laptop then try signing in again to your account in the laptop and see if it will still look for the recovery key

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Doesn't let me sign in it goes straight to the bit locker again looking for yhe recovery key
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

You already restarted it? Can you please take a picture of your screen and attach it here when you reply?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did you recieve photo
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

No. Did you attach it here in the reply box? You can also upload it to http://filesXpress.com

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

I got it on the FilesXpress.com site. Give me a moment

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, on your phone, please go to this link using a web browser:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=237614

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Done that
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Now, did you see your bitlocker recovery key?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On the site you directed me to but see no recovery key details
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's now saying that the page cannot be found
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Please try accessing the page again:

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On it using a fiends tablet ì it has taken me to Microsoft home page
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Please tell me if the page that you are seeing there tells you something like "You don't have any BitLocker recovery keys in your Microsoft account."

Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

I tried that link myself and here is my screen shot:

http://filesxpress.com/d-cc6e80f2

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's not taking me to that page it keep sending me to Microsoft page
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would it be easier if you were able to do this remotely
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, I can only access remotely a computer. I can't access smartphones and Android or iOS tablets. If you have a Windows computer there, I can access it

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still taking me to Microsoft home page
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Do you remember creating a BitLocker key before and saving it in a USB drive?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No we didn't
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, in this case, the control on accessing the laptop is no longer on your Microsoft account, but on a BitLocker key that must have been stored on your Microsoft account, or on a USB drive.

Since you do not have the key, it will be impossible to access your laptop now even though the MS account is now accessible since the computer now requires the key.

This key was triggered due to several failed login attempts.

The only way to regain access to the laptop is by perform a factory reset. But please be warned, factory reset wipes all your data on the drive and then reinstall a fresh copy of Windows 10.

If you have a lot of personal files on the locked laptop, please have it recovered by some local techs there before performing the factory reset.

Here is the link about getting locked by BitLocker:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17133/windows-8-bitlocker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

I know this is not the kind of answer that you wish to hear and I hate to be the bearer of this bad news. But it will be unprofessional of me and unfair to you if I will not give you the real state of your scenario.

At this point you placed a deposit and it is up to you if you want to give me credit for assisting you or not. Your deposit is refundable should you wish not to pay. But please do not rate me negatively (1 to 2 stars) as I have done everything to assist you and that the situation is no longer on our control.

Here is the link about refunding:

ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Thank you for using our service. If you need anything else, please let me know. I am still here to help.

Best regards,

Jess

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How would I perform a factory reset
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for writing back.

In the BitLocker screen, look at the bottom part, click "Skip this drive"

If you skip all of the BitLocker-encrypted drives, you’ll see a list of advanced repair and startup options to choose from.

Click Repair and Restore, click Other repair options, and then click Factory Reset and follow the instructions.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's not letting me reset my laptop keeps telling me their is a problem
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

But were you able to click on Factory Reset?

If yes, please do the following:

1. Turn OFF the laptop
  2. Unplug it from the power source
  3. Allow it to cool off for 10 to 15 minutes
  4. Remove all external devices like USB attached devices
  5. Plug it back in to power source
  6. Turn it back ON then perform the factory reset again
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It allowed me to go on will try yiur advise thank you
Expert:  Jess M. replied 6 months ago.

Ok please take your time

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years