Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I wish to remove an apple mac from my iCloud account and

Hello, i wish to remove an apple mac from my iCloud account and then replace it with another. If i pass the erase Mac in the find my iPhone part of i cloud does it simply remove it from the iCloud account and information such as address book and photo stream of does it wipe everything e.g. files and downloads?
i have separated from my partner and he has the laptop but i wish to remove photo stream and contacts as they are linked to my phone and the iCloud is solely mine.
thank you
Category: Email
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

What will happen is when you sign out of the Apple ID on the Mac and sign into another, you will lose access to any data on that Apple ID, so you need to copy the data to eg: an external drive first. This impacts anything linked to the account such as calendar, reminders, mail ect that the Apple ID is linked to

Then to assign the mac to a different Apple ID,

1. Pull down Apple menu and go to “System Preferences”
  2. Choose “iCloud”
  3. Click the “Sign Out” button to log out of the existing Apple ID on that user account – note the message that logging out of that Apple ID may impact iCloud Drive documents and data, if you don’t want to do that, don’t log out, and instead use a different user account in OS X
  4. When iCloud finishes logging out of the Apple ID, the iCloud preference panel changes to a simple login screen
  5. Log into the other Apple ID you wish to change to on the active Mac user account

For a new Mac user account that doesn’t yet have an Apple ID, the option to create one is included in the System Preference panel for iCloud.

If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i do not have access to the computer
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, you will have to in order to do this on the Mac.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is impossible to use my Ex,s computer. What can i do to to stop him viewing my photos and using my contacts?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Ok, go to https://www.icloud.com/find

If you only see Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and Settings on iCloud.com, your account just has access to iCloud web-only features and its not possible.

Else Click All Devices, select the offline device, then click Remove from Account.

Then it removes the account and you lose the data I indicated before

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry which data exactly does i remove when i click Remove from account?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Here is a list of data that can be stored on iCLoud depending on what you set up

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

It does not mean the data is deleted, it just wont be on that computer anymore.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do you mean the Erase option?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

No, Else Click All Devices, select the offline device, then click Remove from Account.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the options are ...play sound, lock or erase Mac, not any of these? can't find Remove from account?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, thats what I indicated before, if you do not see them then you have to do it on the Mac itself.

If you choose Erase Mac, that wipes everything on it and returns it to a new mac.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is it impossible to remove it from my account without physically using it?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

correct, we have checked this and confirmed.

Only option is either on the computer or via the Erase Mac.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
sorry not finished yet. My Mac is now linked to the iCloud, it doesn't appear in the 'find my i phone', is that because i just added it? it does appear in settings? but my iPhone 4 and Ex's computer do not. Does this mean he can wipe my computer?
I have the same email but have changed my Apple id since our separation. Without access to my email and not knowing my apple id i am assuming he cannot get into i cloud to do this
Sorry i had to leave in a hurry and am facing accusations of breaking and entering just for getting my apple ID written on the kitchen wall so i have managed to change this
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, what exactly did you now just do though?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
added my computer to my iCloud account so now photos and contacts are on my computer, it appears in settings under my devices. just now before this chat ....never realised i couldn't remove his computer
I Changed my apple ID last week
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Disable Find My Mac from System Preferences --> iCloud --> Unckeck (Find My Mac).

2. Go to System Preferences --> Security & Privacy --> Click the lock to make changes. Make sure to keep it unlocked.

3. Return back to System Preferences --> iCloud --> Enable Find My Mac.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry i have to go out now. if i have changed my password ***** apple ID i am assuming my ex cannot get into my iCloud account?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

correct, unless they have the password.

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you Very much Richard!