Viet - Email Tech
Viet - Email Tech, Other
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I have a Microsoft surface 2 but have not used it. I cannot

I have a Microsoft surface 2 but have not used it for months. I cannot recall the password ***** don't know if I have a Microsoft account as I don't seem to need that info to use my main laptop. How do I find out if I have an account so I can re set password ***** Surface and use it, please?
Category: Email
Expert:  Viet - Email Tech replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothin on the Microsoft password ***** page.
On the surface I have 3 email IDs ***@******.******@******.******@******.***

Thank you. So at the login screen on the problematic Microsoft Surface 2 computer, it shows 3 logins with 3 email addresses. Is that correct?

Solution #1:

- On another working computer (or tablet or smartphone), please try the following steps first:

1. Click on the website below:

https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

2. Then there, select the option "I forgot my password", then click on Next at the bottom.

3. Then in the first box, type in an email address as shown on the problematic Microsoft Surface 2 computer.

4. Then in the second box, type in the characters as shown on the page.

5. Then click on Next at the bottom. Then follow the instructions there in order to reset your Microsoft account password.

, then try on the problematic computer.

- You can try the above steps for each of the login email address.

Solution #2:

- If that does not work, please try the following steps on the problematic Microsoft Surface 2 computer:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" (if shown), and option "Just remove files.", and continue.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just tried the Hotmail address with a password ***** had written down and it seems to have worked and I am now connected but I still don't know if I have a Microsoft account or why the same password ***** not work with the other addresses. The Hotmail one is not an address I use for anything else so not memorable.

A. Your hotmail account is considered a Microsoft account password.

B. Each login has its own email address, which is associated with a Microsoft account. Basically, each login has a Microsoft account. There are 3 logins, so there are 3 microsoft accounts.

C. Now, to fix the other 2 logins, please try the followings:

1. Click on the website below:

3. Then in the first box, type in an email address (as shown on the problematic Microsoft Surface 2 computer) that you cannot log in with.

5. Then click on Next at the bottom. Then follow the instructions there in order to reset your Microsoft account password, and check.

- You can try the above steps for each of another login's email address that you cannot log in the Microsoft Surface 2 computer.

If you'd like to, I can connect remotely to your working computer, so I can fix the problematic computer's password ***** through your working computer for you, then you can enter it on the problematic computer.

- Or you can do the following steps on the problematic computer in order reset the problematic computer fresh, like brand-new, then it will let you set up a new password ***** want.

1. Shut down / restart the Microsoft Surface 2 computer. And do not try to log in for now.
  2. At the password ***** login screen of the Microsoft Surface 2 computer, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  3. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  4. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  5. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  6. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  7. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" (if shown), and option "Just remove files.", and continue.

When you are available, please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That seems to have done the trick though cannot test and first successful log-in is enabling long overdue updates still in progress.

You're welcome. If it does not give error, i.e., incorrect password ***** you log in, then it is working. Yes, window update takes long, so please wait. Everything should be fine when windows update is finished, but if there is any issue later, you can always get back to me (we've email you; from JustAnswer / Viet.) Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit. Thank you very much for your patience.