Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I closed a hotmail email account and the 60 day waiting

Customer Question

I closed a hotmail email account and the 60 day waiting period is over, and if I try to log in it says this email account no longer exists. My question is, is there any way at all that emails I received or sent, or any attachments I received or sent within that account can be retrieved? Would it be any use contacting microsoft themselves to ask if they can help?
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Phillip, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. Unfortunately, if a Hotmail account is being closed or deactivated, Microsoft (the owner of Hotmail, Outlook, Live and MSN) does not automatically delete everything from that account. It is giving the user a recovery period of 60 days. Within this 60-day window, the account itself will be recoverable, but NOT its data. That means, if you decided to UNDO the deactivation of the account within the 60-day period, that is possible and you can regain access to your account but all your emails, contacts and other stuffs there will be removed already. The account will look and function just brand new with NO data and emails and contacts in it.

The main reason for this is because during the 60-day window, Microsoft is already deleting all contents of your accounts from across all its servers. And on that time window also, the deletion will be completed. Therefore, if you happen to UNDO the deactivation, you can only have your Hotmail account back, with no data (emails, contacts and other stuffs) in it.

The only time that you can get your account AND your data back is when you REACTIVATE your account within 48 hours from the time your DEACTIVATED or deleted it.

Now, AFTER the 60 day time window, you will both lose the deactivated Hotmail account for good along with all its data. And unfortunately, there is really no way to recover or retrieve the data of the deactivated account after 60 days since they could have been overwritten on the server where they are stored.

I understand that this is not the answer you hope to hear and I hate to be the bearer of this bad news. But it will be unprofessional of me and unfair to you if I will not give you the real status or condition of your scenario that will only give you some false hope.

At this point you placed a deposit and I only get credit for answering your question when you rate positively (3 to 5 stars/smileys).

I hope that helped.
Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!

If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jess. Not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate your honesty and expertise, and a very rapid response for such detail too. I will certainly rate you positively. Would the issues be similar with a yahoo.co.uk email account? 90 days have elapsed since I closed one down, and when I try to log in I get the message 'contact customer care to continue reactivating this account'. Would all data be lost in this account too even if i managed to reopen it?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for writing back and the positive rating. Yes, the same deactivation rules apply to all email providers; be it Yahoo Mail, Gmail, AOL, and others.

And yes, you may be able to regain access to a deactivated account, but it will be blanked with all previous data erased.

The most common time frame where you can recover the email account AND its data is when you re-open or reactivate the account WITHIN 48 hours from deactivation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I think I know all I need to know now to avoid being so careless in future. I will back up my data!!
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, Phillip. And I just want to add that if you want to backup your data, it will be easier if you use an email program that will download the emails to your computer and save them there. So when the account is deactivated, all previous data WILL surely be removed from the email server but copies of them will be retained on your computer until you manually delete them.

I am referring to email programs like MS Outlook 2013. But if you do not have that, you can use a FREE email program called Thunderbird.

What these emails programs do is allow you to send and receive emails but all downloaded emails will be retained on your computer as copies of the original on the email server.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

By the way, for more information about Thunderbird email program, here is the link:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Jess

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A quick question if I may. Is the 90 day waiting period for a yahoo email account to be terminated and exact thing. or may it be possible to reactivate it, say, after 95 days?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for writing back. Based on my experience with Yahoo, that is not exact. The deleted or deactivated account could be complete deactivated ON, BEFORE or AFTER the stipulated 90-day window.

If you try to login to the account, and it does not indicate that the account does not exist, then you can try to recover it using the recovery procedures for Yahoo.

Jess