jhannell
jhannell, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax
14934061

I recently lost all my mail during a transfer from host

Customer Question

I recently lost all my mail during a transfer from host providers. I have been told that all my emails are in a outlook account but I cannot access it. Can anyone help?
Category: Email
Expert:  jhannell replied 10 months ago.

Hello sir/madam, I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready.

jhannell, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: Experience in Windows environment. ASP, Visual Basic, Ajax

can you please click the link below and run it. It will give you an ID and a password. Please tell me the ID and the password ***** I can connect to your desktop and fix the problem remotely.
link: http://tiny.cc/z5lvcx

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ready now.

what is the email address you are having problems with?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you want to email me before sorting me out use:***@******.***

checking

can you try to Access your emails from this page:
https://login.justhost.com/mail.arabianbirds.com/webmail

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can find some webmail which has arrived recently on the just host site but I am looking for my lost mail for the last year arranged in 11 or 12 folders. I have previously been using Windows Live Mail

was Windows live mail installed in your computer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think so - I have been using it for about 3-4 years

is it installed on your computer? (do you still have it?)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
one of the emails on it still receives mail when I press "send/receive"

can you go to https://www.outlook.com/owa/office365 and then enter your login information and try to login

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have seen this login page before but am not sure what password ***** need to use. Is it the password ***** get into Justhost webmail, or a password ***** use with the previous hosters Go Daddy or something else.

let's try the first one now, can you enter the password ***** use to get into justhost webmail. if that does not work, please try the other one

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I entered my email and then when I tried to enter the password ***** directed me to a godaddy sign in box for office 365. I tried both the Justhost and the Godaddy passwords (not sure about the last) and neither worked and it said I cannot try again for 35 minutes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried the passwords at the godaddy site.

checking

can you go to justhost webmail again

do you have a new message?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not see one and pressed refresh a couple of times. To be honest I do not usually use the webmail service and am not sure if I have to do anything to get mail.

can you check again now

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did the same again - nothing there which is new.

and try to login

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The password ***** chose did not work and it has not allowed me a second attempt for 18 minutes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Perhaps I should have chosen the 'forgot password' option.

yes, can you try it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I pressed forgot password ***** it says it has sent an email to***@******.*** - which i cannot access.

can you try to Access your email from Windows Live Mail ? (on computer)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No that does not work - although as I said earlier it does allow me to received email on a old address -***@******.***
The emails on windows live mail for***@******.*** are the same as those on the just host webmail.

https://my.justhost.com/cgi/dm can you login to your domain panel from this page?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have done that -what do I do now?

we need to change the MX records of your domain. can you see it on the page?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I cannot see it - where do I look?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Godaddy told me yesterday to change the MX record and this was done with the help of the Just host team. it was changed to Priority: 0 TARGET : ARABIANBIRDS-COM.MAIL.PROTECTION.OUTLOOK.COM

we need to change it, that's why we are not able to Access the old emails.

in your domain panel, do you see the "Domains" section at top?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

do you see "Zone Editor" at top?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when I pressed it I found several sections for entering variable data one of which was MX record
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The MX record shows the text godaddy wanted entered yesterday.

we need to type the old (original) mx record

i am checking

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK what was that

can you add a TXT record

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do I add or change an existing entry?

can you add this as TXT:
v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That entry is already there.

everything seems fine. let's try to login again.

and enter your email address and password ***** then try to login

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It said I was already logged in - would this be the justhost webmail account?

probably, can you close all the Windows, and open a new one and try to login again from https://login.microsoftonline.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I cannot get into it. After several attempts and passwords
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
should I try a one-time-use code?

let's try it, can you do this now

if that does not work can you go to https://login.justhost.com/hosting/webmail again and try to login.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can try a one time use code but that may take several minutes - I will try now. I can login to my webmail I tried a few minutes ago. There were no new mails.

when did you change your hosting provider exactly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not get an option for a one time code this time - it kept sending me to the Godaddy site.
I changed my website from Godaddy to Justhost about 6-8 weeks ago but discovered recently that I was still paying them for certain services including email. However I then cancelled that service and transferred my emails to justhost on 16 July. Email was working fine with justhost until i needed to change some of the coding and thats when I lost it all. About 19 July.

when you try to login your email from this page, https://sso.godaddy.com/v1/?username=mikejennings%40arabianbirds.com&domain=arabianbirds.com which error are you getting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I could not login as none of the passwords I could think of were accepted . I got the message "Authentication failed. You entered an incorrect username or password" each time. The user name I was using was the email address Mike etc.
Look we have been at this 2 hours now and I need to go and see some people. How can i continue this conversation later on or tomorrow?

can you add this page to your favorites (bookmarks), when you come back you can open this page from your favorites and we can continue

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry you have exposed my ignorance of IT matters - how do i add this to my favourites - where do I find them?

can you press CTRL+D, what happens?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A little box appears "Bookmark" which includes the first line of my question and shows folder as 'Bookmarks bar' . There are options for 'remove' 'edit' or 'finished'.

can you select finished

it should be in your bookmarks now

do you know how to Access your bookmarks?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I did that how do I find bookmarks tomorrow?

what is your browser? is it firefox?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I use google chrome.

at top-right, can you click the button that shows "..."

do you see "bookmarks" there ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I cannot find this - maybe because it is already open with this conversation and the new page is not complete?

can you check this:

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Look I must go - I will try to find it tomorrow. Bye for now

i will be here anytime

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jerry, so sorry I had to rush off yesterday so abruptly but we had 20 relatives desend on us for a weekend camping in our field. Although my wife had been there to welcome them I was feeling very rude to have ignored them for an hour. Anyhow I have now read through the above again. At least now I know how to open 'bookmarks' on google chrome. Found several things there I had forgotten about concerning updates so that was a bonus. I think our last exchange was at 4.41 pm UK time. Where shall we go now? If you are happier for me to come back another time let me know and I can. I will assume you are off duty if I do not hear from you in 15 minutes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I will try again this afternoon. Best wishes, Mike

hi again, i am here

when you come back please let me know so we can continue

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am back now and ready to continue.

hi again, do you have new mails in your justhost webmail?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No.

can you go to justhost webmail, and try to send a message to your own email address. and check if you are able to receive it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I sent the email and the sent box recorded it but it did not arrive. I copied the message to the other email I have on Windows Live Mail (*****@******.***) and that has arrived. So it seems mail is going out.

did you close your account with godaddy completely?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As far as I know I have. But I had to buy a new email plan a few days ago (valid for a year) to transfer all my stored mail. I do not know whether that plan has any continuing commitments on my own or their part.

it seems when you closed your godaddy account, they closed your email account too.that's the reason why we are not able to Access it anymore.

can you check your godaddy account from here: (try to login)
http://my.godaddy.com

(click sign in at top-right)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was able to login and I see under 'my accounts' it showed me as having 'office 365 Email and productivity' I think this is what they set up to help me get my email back.

is there a section where you can change your password? (set a new password, so we can try to login to your email with your new password)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but it includes an email sent to***@******.*** - which I cannot get into.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is an option to send an email to my account administrator instead. Maybe I should try this?

can you try it

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did that and this is what I got:Reset My Password
We sent your password ***** request to your account administrator.
When your account administrator resets your password, you'll receive an email with next steps.Do you think the email will be to***@******.***?

it seems it is justhost webmail, can you check your webmail

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nothing there still. In fact nothing since 20 July.

can you call(###) ###-####1810 and ask them why you are not able to Access your Office 365 emails administered by godaddy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am trying them now. It may be a long call on past experience.

waiting

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Jerry, I had a long conversation with go daddy and reset my passwords etc. The net result is we have been able to restore my Office 365 account to show recent mail and all the old emails and folders of the last 12 months. It was a terrific relief to know that I had not lost it all. What I need to do now is copy all these emails so I do not lose them again (godaddy sent me an email telling me how to do this) and then I can contact justhost to get my email back with them. I think this means that we have gone as far as we can with this together and I am very grateful to you for helping me sort it all out. Shall I now complete by rating you?

happy to hear that. yes, you can. but even after the rating, this page will not be lost and you can anytime contact me opening this page from your favorites when you need help from this page.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Many thanks again, I will now complete. Goodbye for now. Mike

you are welcome, have a nice day. best wishes