ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

I have an issue with my windows 10 laptop in that i keep

Customer Question

hi i have an issue with my windows 10 laptop in that i keep getting a orange triangle sign that tells me 1 or more protocols are missing .
a professioal checked it and said no it,s all ok ,but most certainly is not, programmes are slow films stutter or freeze and tv nigh on impossible , we are on radio type signal and it freezes the phone also ,can you assist please,, ken.
Category: Email
Expert:  ChrisC replied 11 months ago.

Hi Ken, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you're Windows installation is corrupted and you'll need to either refresh or reset the PC. Let me ask you, do you have any data on the machine that you can't afford to lose? Or are there any important programs installed that you would be unable to reinstall if you had to?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
apart from e mails and general stuff , no
Expert:  ChrisC replied 11 months ago.

How do you normally get to your e-mail?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hotmail
Expert:  ChrisC replied 11 months ago.

Okay, so you just go to hotmail.com for instance and sign in, is that right?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
cris i am in spain and am on radio system i have 6 meg max and 32mbps if that helps
Expert:  ChrisC replied 11 months ago.

Okay, that shouldn't be affecting the machine.

How long have been experiencing the issue? Did it used to work fine and then one day it started having problems?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sure did yes
Expert:  ChrisC replied 11 months ago.

All right, thanks Ken.

Give me about five minutes to get some information typed up for you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry about to five months
Expert:  ChrisC replied 11 months ago.

Ken, as I mentioned, everything you're describing points to a corruption issue with Windows. In Windows 10, there is luckily a built-in function to deal with these kinds of problems.

First off, don't worry about your e-mails. Those are stored on Hotmail's servers, not on your computer.

Now, if you hold down the Windows key on the keyboard (that's the key with the Windows symbol on it, two keys to the left of the spacebar) and press the I key (that's I as in indigo) then a Settings window should come up.

Once inside of Settings, click on Update and Security and then click on Recovery on the left-hand side. Once inside the recovery panel, you could see one of a few things, but most likely you'll see an option that says "Reset this PC" on the right-hand side. You may also see an option that says, "Refresh this PC."

This should give you a couple of different recovery options, and it will describe each one for you. You will have the option of either keeping your files or removing them (bear in mind that both however will remove any programs you've installed, and those programs will need to be reinstalled).

The reset/refresh which removes your files is a full reinstall of Windows and is more thorough. So if you choose to keep your files and you're still experiencing problems, you can go back and do it again while choosing the option to remove your files. As I said, this is a full install so everything will be replaced by a fresh copy of Windows. This should resolve any corruption problems.

So that is what you'll need to do. It will take some time and you're computer will be offline for a little while while it performs the Reset procedure.

Does all this make sense? Do you have any questions on this?

If you have no questions, please remember to use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 Stars/OK Service or better so that I receive credit for assisting you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you chris i will do as stated ,we ie wife and i have to attend our local fiesta which starts in an hour. can i delay untill tomorrow and if i need more help i go to your e mail in my e box? where are you based.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 11 months ago.

I'm based in the United States.

If you rate the answer, it will close our session out for now, but you can always come back to the question at any time in the future and leave another response. And then I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok i roger that ,your a 5 star man thanks .ps have daughter in upstate new york and grandson. cheers. K G B.
Expert:  ChrisC replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the positive rating and enjoy your fiesta!