technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

I cannot send emails with my I pad but can with my computer

Customer Question

I cannot send emails with my I pad but can with my computer now. BT gave me new password ***** but this does not work with I pad.
Category: Email
Expert:  technicalcat replied 4 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble, and I will help you now.

To better assist , please give me more details about the problem you are having.

On the ipad, are you able to receive email, but not send, or can you not receive or send email on the ipad?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can receive email but not send.

I have received your request for remote, but it would not benefit in this case, as we can not connect to an ipad.

However, I can help you resolve this problem. On your ipad:

• Go to Settings
  • Tap Mail, Contacts and Calendars
  • Tap on your Account - ‘*****@******.***’
  • Again, tap on your account - ‘*****@******.***’
  • Scroll down and tap on SMTP
  • Tap on Primary Server
  • Check mail server address is set to 'mail.btinternet.com'
  • Check Port number is ***** to '465'
  • Check SSL encryption is set to 'ON'

Please let me know if you are able to send mail after taking these steps. Thank You.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am waiting for you to contact me.

• Go to Settings
  • Tap Mail, Contacts and Calendars
  • Scroll down and tap on SMTP
  • Tap on Primary Server
  • Check Port number is ***** to '465'
  • Check SSL encryption is set to 'ON'

Hello again. I have sent you two replies with instructions on how to fix the problem with your ipad. I have received your remote request, but we can not connect directly to your ipad. You will need to follow the instructions I am sending you. Please let me know if you have received this message. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have done what you suggest and all is OK in settings but 2 emails still in outbox.

Are you receiving any error or message when you try to send?

technicalcat, Consultant
Experience: 20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The username or password ***** ***** but I got a new pw yesterday and it worked on my laptop today. I put the new one on my ipad.

I will go ahead and connect remotely to your computer to verify the settings you are using. We will then attempt to replicate those on your ipad, which should fix the problem. Will send instructions in the next few minutes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok

Is the computer that works with the email running Windows, or is it a Mac?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Windows 10 recently installed

You have requested for me to remotely connect to your computer , in order to help you while you watch. To do this, please click on the link below. Accept the remote agreement, and then proceed to download, run, and install the remote software. Your browser should prompt you through this, and it should be easy. If possible, please use INTERNET EXPLORER browser for this (the blue E icon). After the remote software is running , I will connect to you in about 5 to 10 minutes. If you don't see me right away, please be patient. Also, when I connect, my movements may seem slow or delayed. This is normal due to internet slowdowns depending on our connection. Once I connect, please don't type or move your mouse, until I chat with you.

If you have any other troubles getting the remote running, just reply back to me here. Thanks.

Here is the link for REMOTE:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=705f4e1a-f735-4dff-a60b-22f9e86e94f7

I have my remote software running, but have not seen your connection yet.

Are you having trouble running the remote client? If so, please tell me and I will assist.

I will be away from my computer for the next few minutes, so just reply to this message, and when I receive it , or see your remote connection, I will continue to assist. Thank You.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was cut off.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Your instructions were difficult to follow. I could not make the connection. Can you ring me on my landline 01253 731449?

Please visit the link below. You will be prompted with an agreement. Please accept the agreement by clicking the green button.

You will then be asked to download a program called elsinore. Download/save it, and then run the elsinore program. Make sure to OK any questions the programs asks about permissions or allowing it to do something.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=9f2896e9-9d90-4c78-b6ac-1f422280775d

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please renew the remote connection. I have downloaded Elsinore program but dont know how to proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is over an hour since I contacted you. Have you been able to make any progress?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cannot reply to your email because I cannot send emails from my ipad. That is the same problem. There has been duplication because you havent fixed the problem and it is now 2 hours since I contacted you today.

Hello again. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the remote connection. What I need for you to do is try to make the connection, and if you can't , then reply to me, but not more than an hour later, as the connection will timeout after that.

Please let me know what timeframe in eastern standard time when you will be available, and I will try to be online at that time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for message. I will be available today 28 August at 15.00 hrs UK time or later if you let me know when.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello, I tried to find the previous download without success.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just found the download and launched application but was told the session had ended

As stated, the sessions are all ended because they have times out and I had previously gone offline. I will send you a new link when we are both available to connect.

Are you available now to connect online? I will be online for most of the next 6 hours or so. Just reply to me here when you are ready. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am ready now.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do you want me to launch the application now?

OK. Here is the new link. Please use this link, and since you have previously downloaded the remote client (elsinore) , please take care not to run the OLD copies you may have in your download. Only run the latest one sent to you after you click the link below and agree, and download.

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=5ce52a62-fb6a-4ab1-a928-8258dfdb5cb7

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I deleted and reinstalled my BT ac as instructed but no change. When I got to OUTGOING MAIL and tapped SMTP there were no boxes for password ***** port etc. And I still can't send mail!

Linked below are specific instructions for Ipad. I think you were confused as you first have to enter in the username/password, in order to get to the settings page to complete SMTP setup. This should help you get to the settings page. Let me know if you able to get it working. Thanks.

http://www.serversmtp.com/en/smtp-settings-ipad

Also, please use your BT settings for server name, login, port, etc., and not the ones for turbo-smtp listed in the instructions I sent. I am only sending this so you can see exactly how to proceed through the process.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My problem is the same, I dont have all the boxes to fill in re OUTGOING SERVER. When I tap PRIMARY SERVER, nothing happens.

Please tell me where you are getting stuck on these steps. Keep in mind you'll be ADDING a new server, then entering host name, username, and password ***** and then your Ipad should verify and return to the details screen. I suspect you may not be properly following the steps , or your ipad isn't verifying the SMTP properly and returning you to the settings page where you can enter the remaining details.

3. Tap "SMTP" under "Outgoing Mail Server".

4. Tap "Add Server...". This window will appear:

5. Enter the following information:

• Host name: your SMTP server's name.
  • User name: your sending email address.
  • Password: the password ***** chose.

After that the iPad will verify your SMTP, then it will return to the details screen. Select the Primary server and insert all the remaining specifics:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have gone through steps 1 to 5 but when I tap on primary server nothing happens. So no change. I have to go out at 11 am UK time and will not be back before 18.00.

The instruction set I previously sent does not specify to tap on primary server. What I wanted to know is if you were able to get to the settings for SMTP after adding a new server. If not, then please tell me what happens after you select to add a new server and enter in your hostname, username, and password. Thank You.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After adding new server and entering host name user name and password, I get sent back to the previous page starting with primary server, and ending with add server.

It appears the mail app may be corrupt on you ipad.

Please refer to the link before for instruction on a soft and hard reset. I'd recommend trying the soft reset first, as this does not delete any data. Then, if are you are still unable to setup the BTmail account as we've been trying to do, move to the hard reset. However, before you do the hard reset (the one that erases data), make sure you backup any important pictures, documents, pictures, video, or other important personal data that you may not have backed up elsewhere on the ipad.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The soft reset did not work. The mail server did not recognise it. I think I have backed up my photos in iCloud but am reluctant to try hard reset until I am home in Beckenham tomorrow and then will be connected to a BT hub.

OK. I would recommend you try the hard reset in a step to resolve the problem.