Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years
49766785

I am using an old version of Thunderbird with POP3 email,

I am using an old version of Thunderbird with POP3 email, all working fine for years. Have just had to move my email accounts to new provider, have updated to new server info and now can recieve but not send messages with POP3.
Category: Email
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.

I am very sorry about your issues. May I know the domain name of the problem email account in your Thunderbird?

What exactly is the error message and code when receiving fails?

Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have several emails with the domain lynch-fm.demon.co.uk. Demon have just transferred all their email accounts to Inty, I am now having to go through Namesco to manage these addresses, and Namesco use Office 365 and Outlook to manage them online.
When I try to send a message, I get a box telling me 'connected to SMTP.office365.com' then eventually a further message saying 'sending of message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server SMTP.office365.com timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In fact, I have just got a different fail message, 'Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.office365.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator.'. I have been trying various things, but not sure why the message has changed. I am trying to send a very short test email by the way.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can see a question here asking if I would prefer you to securely connect to my computer and fix this, I odn;t know if this is a standard button or your response to my information so far. If it's helpful, the answer is no, I would prefer not to have you connect to my computer to try to fix this. Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jess, Sorry, I haven't used this service before, are you still there?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for writing back with that information.

So you are saying that now, you are unable to both send and receive emails? Is this happening in all emails ending with lynch-fm.demon.co.uk?

Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Are your emails ending with @lynch-fm.demon.co.uk?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
as per my question, I can recieve emails fine, but can't currently send them using POP3. Yes, this is happening with all the emails for lynch-fm.demon.co.uk. I can send emails from these addresses if I sign into outlook and send from webmail but (a) that's a huge pain for several accounts, and (b) the sent emails don;t get into my POP3 sent folder.Yes, my emails end with @lynch-fm.demon.co.uk
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

What is the pop3 error message that you are getting in Thunderbird when sending fails?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK Jess, this is the question I have answered above. Currently I get a a box telling me 'connected to SMTP.office365.com' then eventually a further message saying 'Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.office365.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator.'.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for that clarification. Did you setup or add the email accounts in Thunderbird? Or did you just edit or modify their settings?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been using these addresses, with Thunderbird, on this computer, for several years. I have changed the server settings to match the information for the new provider. I have changed the settings for both incomong and outgoing servers for all the email addresses.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just as a matter of interest, the error message is now back to "Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.office365.com timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.".
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

May I know who provided you the server settings? Was it Inty or Namesco? Or did you just get or see those info when you access your Inty or Namesco account to manage your emails?

I am asking because when you setup an email in Thunderbird, it will fetch the server settings for you automatically.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As above, the emails were already set up in Thunderbird. The POP3 server address and other settings are provided by Namesco via the office 365 account set up to handle the emails.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Can you please tell me the pop3 server given to you? What about the pip3 port?

Also, please check if there are IMAP settings shown there as well and let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, I think this information is in the original question, but i will log in and get the detauils for you again. I assume 'pip3' means 'pop3'? Information is also given for IMAP, I will get that too, although I need to get POP3 working, not IMAP.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, sorry for the typo error. I was referring to pop3

Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Not pip3

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am attaching a screen shot of all the settings from outlook
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jess, do you think you are going to be able to help me with this?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, I will try my best to help you with this problem. Just to confirm, you mentioned in the original question that you are able to receive just fine. This means that POP3 is working just fine. You said you are unable to send, thus the problem is your SMTP server, not POP3 server.

I believe you are using the default SMTP port of 587. Please change that SMTP port to 465, save the settings and then test sending.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, I'll try that now.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Ok please take your time. Also, make sure that the Connection Security for your Outgoing Server (SMTP) is set to SSL/TLS.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Connection Security is set to SSL/TLS. What setting would you recommend for Authentication method, I currently have 'normal password'?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Normal password ***** *****

Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

For the username, enter the FULL email address

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am trying to send after changing the port number, closing and reopening Thunderbird. It hasn't asked me for a password ***** after a long period just saying 'connected to SMTP office 365', I get the message shown in attached screen shot.
I will change the username and try again.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, this time, please DELETE the stored or remembered password ***** the account that you are testing now. When you try to send a test email, you will be prompted for a password. Enter the correct password ***** see if you are then able to send emails.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, so with the revised port number, full email address as username, stored password ***** primary email address deleted, thunderbird closed and reopened, password ***** unfortunaely still not saving.....
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Not saving? Or are you saying not sending? What is the error this time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yep, my typo this time, not sending.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Did you get the same error message saying lost in the middle of the transaction?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I delete the password, then try to send before collecting messages, I am not prompted to enter a password. This is one of the things I have been struggling with, there doesn't seem to be any way to directly add a password ***** the SMTP server.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Please follow these steps to delete the password ***** the email account you are troubleshooting now:

1. Click Tools => Options
  2. Click Security tab
  3. Click "Passwords" sub-tab
  4. Then click Saved passwords button
  5. There you can delete the remembered passwords for all of your accounts so that you can start anew
  6. Click Close
  7. Close Thunderbird
  8. Open Thunderbird then test sending using the account you are troubleshooting. TB (Thunderbird) will prompt you for the password ***** establishing connection to your account.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that's what I've done. I am promted for the password ***** I try to collect emails, and the entered password ***** ***** back into the list of stored passwords again. However, i'm not promted for a password ***** sending, even if I try to send before connecting to download my messages.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

In the window or dialog box showing all all stored passwords, did you see if the list is starting with smtp? For instance, in my case, the items are shown as smtp://xxxxxx.

Please check and confirm. If you are using an old version of TB, there could only be one password ***** POP and SMTP therefore you are only prompted once.

Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Please try to restart your computer too after the various changes we initiated. Then test your TB after restarting.

Please bookmark or add our chat page to your favorites so that you can easily get back to me after restarting.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
In the stored passwords list I see mailbox addresses for all the emails, but no SMTP. I have seen SMTP in this list though, with an old password, so I removed it and it has not reappeared.I will restart cpmputer and try to get back to this conversation.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, please restart then try TB again. It simply means that TB was unable to communicate wuth the SMTP server, thus it was not prompted for the SMTP password. I will standby here..

Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Hi, how is it going?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jess, So I have restarted my computer, no change. I have deleted all the passwords for all my addresses, closed TB, tried again, re-entered passwords stored for all addresses, but no prompt for sending, and no smtp password *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been trying to fix this since Monday morning, so two and a bit days of frustration and failure so far!I'm hoping you have some further suggestions?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

How did you re-enter those passwords? Did TB prompted for passwords for the accounts?

Have you tried updating or upgrading your TB to the latest version?

Also, please temporarily turn off or disable your Windows firewall and antivirus program while we are troubleshooting TB, they could be blocking outgoing connections.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I clicked 'get messages' for each address in turn, and for each mail address I was prompted for a password.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Ok. Please temporarily disable your windows firewall and antivirus as we are doing the troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Firewall and virus checker alle xactly as they were on Monday morning before switching to Namesco, when messages came in and out without any problem. Are they likely to be causing an issue now?. Virus checker does not scan outgoing emails.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I could update TB, but then I wouldn;t know if it was the update to TB or the email changes causing the problem. As I said,. everything was working fine two days ago, all that's changed is the location of teh email provider.Also, updates make me very nervous, I have emails from teh last decade, I don't want to do anything that makes me anxious I may accidentally lose all my historic messages.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

If you are sure Outgoing emails are not scanned, then your security software is not an issue.

Please change your SMTP Connection Security to NONE. Save the changes then test the email account that you are troubleshooting.

Also, is it possible that you can create a dummy or sample email account and send me the login credentials so that I can test if I get the same problems in my Thunderbird?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, I have turned off Norton for an hour, Windows firewall not enabled anyway.I think it might take me half a day to work out how to set up an extra email user with the new provider, so I'd rather not try that, but happy to share all my TB settings as we go.Will try the changes you suggest now.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I revert to the port number given in Outlook or continue with 465?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

No, while security is set to NONE, please test the 3 ports. Test 25, 587 and 465. See which combination (of port and security = none) works.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With port 25 and no security I get this message 'An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.57 SMTP; Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.'
Will try the other combinations
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, please try another port, but still security = none.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
With 587, same message, 'An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.57 SMTP; Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.'.Will try with 465
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, please give it a try. If the problem continues, please test the other setting combination:

Security = STARTTLS

Ports = 25, 587 and 465

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, with 465 I get 'Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.office365.com timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.'. Does the difference between these messages tell us anything?Will work through same process with STARTTLS. Should this still be with 'Normal Password'?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Yes, normal password

Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Also, do you have any of your accounts there (the one ending with @lynch-fm.demon.co.uk) that is less used that you can give me the password ***** that I can test it with my Thunderbird? You can then change the password ***** the troubleshooting.

This process is important since when I add the account in my TB, I will allow TB to detect the servers. Actually, I can try to add without the password, just the email address and TB will fetch the server settings for me then you can try those settings.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK, I use all the accounts, and wouldn't be happy to share the passwords, but by all means use '*****@******.***' to check the server addresses.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, testing now. No need for passwords as the latest TB first detects the server settings before attempting to login which requires the password.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
STRTTLS and 465 gives the timed-out message.trying 587
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Ok, here is the detected info when I tried to add your email:

SMTP: smtp-mail.outlook.com

Security: STARTTLS

Port: please try in this order: 587, 465, 25

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeayyyy!!!!587, STARTTLS, password ***** the email deleted, closed TB, opened TB, downloaded messages for that address, tried to send, prompted for password, message sent!!!!So the addresses from TB look interesting, I will make a note of that info too, but for now it seems as though the key thing was to use STARTTLS, even though the info on outlook says TLS. I was getting a bit frustrated with what felt like rather random ideas, but it seems you got there.Many thanks!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I mark this question as completed?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

Wow! I am glad that it is working now! Yes, the server information that your Namesco page is showing is the default information. Changes could have been done from their end and that page did not reflect the changes.

Please rate my answer positively to close the question. Thank you for your patience and for using our service.

Best regards,

Jess

Expert:  Jess M. replied 8 months ago.

I believe the rating system is found at the top of our chat page.

Thank you for using our service. If you need assistance in the future, you can request me any time by posting a new question starting with "For Jess M" so that I can assist you immediately.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Software Support Specialist for more than 10 years