Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

Help!! I have suddenly started sending emails out with Giant

Customer Question

Help!!
I have suddenly started sending emails out with Giant letters (140pt)
Have found the following lines in the header of one of my emails that the client replied to....how do I reset to 14pt....what did I do to increase it by 10 times???
Sent: 21 September 2016 14:42
To: Catherine Amos
Subject: RE: URGENT QUOTE

Hi Catherine

Alison is away on holiday at the moment, so I am looking after her computer.

Just contacting you to say that we’ve got your email and we are trying to work it into our schedule for Monday & Tuesday…….I will be back to you
shortly.

<span lang="EN-US" style="font-size:140pt;

Category: Email
Expert:  jhannell replied 2 months ago.

Hello sir/madam, I would like to help you, please let me know when you are ready.

Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.
  1. On the File tab, choose Options > Mail.

NOTE: If you have Outlook 2007, choose the Tools menu, then choose Options > Mail Format.

2. Under Compose messages, choose Stationery and Fonts.

3. On the Personal Stationery tab, under New mail messages or Replying or forwarding messages, choose Font.

4. In the Font box, choose the font, style, size, and color that you want to use. You can see a preview of your changes as you make them.

5. Choose OK three times to return to Outlook.

Your new settings will take effect immediately.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jerryready to receive help.....
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

If you would prefer that I complete the steps for you, I am sending you a remote assistance offer. It is completely optional and if you do not choose that method, please follow my 5 steps above.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
who am i dealing with pls? Jerry or Josh?
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Hi Neil,

My name is ***** ***** Here was my last response...

On the File tab, choose Options > Mail.NOTE: If you have Outlook 2007, choose the Tools menu, then choose Options > Mail Format.Under Compose messages, choose Stationery and Fonts.On the Personal Stationery tab, under New mail messages or Replying or forwarding messages, choose Font.In the Font box, choose the font, style, size, and color that you want to use. You can see a preview of your changes as you make them.Choose OK three times to return to Outlook.Your new settings will take effect immediately. If you would prefer that I complete the steps for you, I am sending you a remote assistance offer. It is completely optional and if you do not choose that method, please follow my 5 steps above. If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 3 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The settings I have in MS outlook are currently correct and set at 14pt.......however some outgoing emails are"corrupting???" to 140pt........the suggestion above does not solve the problem
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Would you be okay if I connected to your computer and viewed the issue to fix it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Boss won't let me do that.....if you could give me an email sddress I can send a sample of the problem....
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

No problem.

Does it happen randomly? Always to the same people?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
randomly....when i send it out it looks normal, but sometimes when the client replies with a question for example, the clients words are normal size, but what we sent is in giant letters.**************************************************************************
The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is confidential and intended solely and for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) It may not be disclosed to any other person without the express authority of Public Health England, or the intended recipient, or both. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it. This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept for computer viruses by Symantec.Cloud, but please re-sweep any attachments before opening or saving. http://www.gov.uk/PHE
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

The reason that is happening is likely because of how their replies are setup within their email system. Which year of Outlook do you have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Outlook 2007Sample email screengrabbed onto attached documentClients initial query at bottom....my reply....her final comment
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.
  1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Mail Format tab.

2. In the Compose in this message format list, select PLAIN TEXT

Try sending an email to her again and have her reply back. Let me know if the font stays the same when replying back to her

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
On this occasion the fonts have stayed as I originally typed them
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

That should fix the issue for you. Let me try and explain the issue in more detail: Each user can set their format differently within their email program or browser. If you send an email to someone that is using a different format than you, it can "mess up" the font on the reply back because of the difference in formats. The steps that I gave you, set the format as a universal format so that it will not cause issues with anyone elses format setup regardless of what it is.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you tell me why this started suddenly after 5 years with not a single problem & also if we can still send all our pictures & attachments as normal in Plain text?
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you why it has changed. If you have been emailing the same user over the last 5 years and it recently changed, they could have changed their format on your computer or started using a different program.

Pictures are allowed as attachments via Plain Text. All attachments will work as normal.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll lose the ability to highlight, bold underline etc.....its also not explained why the coding is showing exactly ten times the setting within the mail format section.
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

That is correct -- You would lose those settings. Unfortunately, if you use the universal settings then it will lose those options.

The reason that your "coding" is 10x more or different is because of the different formats. I understand this is frustrating but I can only provide you with the correct information. If the other person has the same format that you are using then there won't be an issue. If they are using a different format then it can cause that type of "glitch" or "coding issue"

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sadly I still have the problem even though I have changed to plain text as instructed
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Open the email with the large font size

Hold down the CTRL key and move the mouse wheel towards you to zoom out. After adjusting the zoom, on the email so that the font is correct, try replying back to that person and see if it fixes the issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The rest of the email has disappeared so small that I can't read it
Expert:  Josh replied 2 months ago.

Press CTRL and use the mouse wheel the opposite way to zoom back in