Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs
32989067

I need help signing back into my Google chrome application

I need help signing back into my Google chrome application on my Macbook air laptop.
I switched to a supervised account which I setup but now when I try to switch back to my main account it just won't sign in. The circle spins.
I have no problem signing in anywhere else.
The problem is everytime I open chrome its just on the select account and sign in page.
I have access to my account everywhere else but my laptop.
Regards,
Darren
Category: Email
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 6 months ago.

Hi Darren. Welcome to justanswer.

Delete all the cookies and then try to sign in.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I have cleared the cookies in the chrome settings, and it won't login just spinning circle

Are you able to login in your browser?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I use Safari I can login to my account, but the chrome app is just stuck on my profile pic with a lock on.It doesn't let me sign in.I am logged in fine on this iMac to chrome its just my laptop

Log out from Chrome on this device. Then try on your laptop

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just tried that didn't work. I logged back in ok on this computer.I have got chrome on my phone and I have Google drive on all devices

On your laptop, in chrome browser, go to settings. Do you see your account listed there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a way to completely get rid of chrome on the laptop and start again?I tried uninstalling it but just comes up with the sign in box

After uninstalling, you installed it again or not?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I open chrome on my laptop, its just a window with my profile pic which is locked.It says browse as guest and add person at the bottom corner

Try clicking Browse as guest

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I installed it again and it is in the exact same place

Then open gmail.com and sign into your account

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It says please unlock your profile before browsing as a guest but if I close the window and click on chrome / clear browsing history it has guest account at the top right

Can you browse in it? If yes, then type www.google.com and on top right, click to sign in

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have signed in but it still says Guest account at the top right

Close the browser and open it again.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It just keeps coming up with a big window asking me to sign in.When I try signing in nothing happens the circle just spins
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The problem happened because I created another person with a supervised account

Remove that supervised user

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thats what happened, I have removed it and I can't get back in to my account.There is no other users showing on this computer

I am out of ideas now. I will let other experts look at this issue

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there someone to help me now, I need this working urgently so I can work on my laptop
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Go to www.gmail.com

Then click on your name in the top right, click sign out

Then try to sign in

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi,It just says Guest account at the top right.When I click on exit guest account the same window with my locked profile pic shows and I can't login.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, but what exactly then happens when you try to log in?

Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.

Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.

I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.

Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.

If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi,I would prefer to just go through the steps myself.I am quite good on computers I should be able to follow what your saying.This problem just looks like a bug or something with google chrome.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

No problem, but I need to know please what exactly then happens when you try to log in?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I remove Google chrome completely off and start again because this window is different its not a normally sign in window.It is a window to select a different person
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The circle just spins and doesn't sign in
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It asks me to sign in and password ***** then just spins
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Can you download and install the Google Cleanup Tool from here please

https://www.google.com/chrome/cleanup-tool/

run it and once done, restart and tell me if you can now sign in please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The tool is for windows I am on Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, if your on a mac, then download app cleaner from here

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

Run it and drag the google chrome icon from finder to App Cleaner to uninstall it

then restart, and install Chrome from www.google.com/chrome

Then try to sign in

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just done what you said and still the same problem
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
still the same problem
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

what is the make and model of your wifi router?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Virgin Super Hub 2
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, on the back of it is a reset button, push and hold this for 10 seconds then release.

then restart the mac, and tell me if it now signs in please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I have tried that still doesn't sign in
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Do you have another computer there? Can you sign in with that one?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the iMac I am talking to you on works fine
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

ok, on the problem computer, go to the Apple Symbol, then system preferences, accounts and create a new account.

Then restart the mac, sign in with this new account and tell me if you have the same issue please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It works on this new account
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Chrome opened up normally on the web and I logged in at the top right button
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

the issue is the old account on the Mac. We have tried to repair it but this is not possible.

You will have to use this new account moving forward and delete the old account (once you have copied over any files you need to keep on the account)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How can I delete the other account?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Go back to users and then you click on the account and click the -

This then removes it, but make sure to first copy any of your personal files from it first that you want to keep

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thanks for your help
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.

Your most welcome and great we got it resolved in the end

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit

Richard, Software Engineer
Experience: Over 15 year experience in Email Systems and Programs