Lorenz Vauck
Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience:  17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
78122054

I use evolution for emails. I cannot type the password to

I use evolution for emails. I cannot type the password ***** authenticate the SMTP server because my younger brother (now dead) did everything for me and our parents.
I use***@******.*** via mail.com
Whilst I receive emails I often cannot send and I do not get sent mail now even things I know have gone.
Category: Email
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon, I suggest we do a remote session and I can take you through the process of setting up your e-mail once again.

Please let me know if your happy with this, at which point I will send you instructions for allowing me to securly access your machine.

James

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you have experience/knowledge of ubuntu?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
James, speak to me please!
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 9 months ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I am your new expert. I will try to help you as quick possible.

Can you please let me know which error Evolution on Ubuntu is giving you exactly when trying to authenticate with the SMTP server?

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am asked for mail authentication (host: smtp.server.mail.com)
I need to change my printer though I have all the info to do this I need to start at bash.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry I mean dash (not bash)

Good evening,

thanks for your patience, I just came in to start working for JustAnswer. When you are asked for mail authentication, don´t you have the login / password? Can you try to access the mail via a web browser session meanwhile? As for changing the printer, yes, this can be done as well indeed. But one question: if you are not experienced with Ubuntu and your brother unfortunately won´t come back (I am really sorry for your loss!), why not simply install Windows and use that instead? You (or me for you via a remote-session) can setup everything more easily there.

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Like my younger brother I am anti-microsoft. I prefer ventures which are fair to all.
To make my wife happy I have cancelled all future spending on my credit card and destroyed it so I cannot go down any route that will cost more. As I have a health condition I am not physically quick though I am intellectually able.
Paul

Dear *****,

I totally understand where you are coming from, but the makers of Ubuntu are in several relations with Microsoft, so don´t worry, you are still supporting MS if you are using Ubuntu. See:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-and-canonical-partner-to-bring-ubuntu-to-windows-10/

Anyhow, if you are not experienced with Linux (Ubuntu in your case), you do not have many options except to learn Ubuntu / Linux then, if you do not want to use Windows. We can also do a remote-assistance and I set things up for you, but once something doesn´t work again and you are not familiar with Linux, you will have the same problem again and have to call external help and spend more money. Overall it would be cheaper to get a Windows license instead. Just saying... Let me know what you think and how you would like to go ahead.

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lorenz,
I have mulled over your thoughts and decided I am not ready to dispose of my younger brothers stuff despite your wise words. For the present I would just like this system to work effectively.

Thanks for your reply and I totally understand. So what would you like me to do for you in this case exactly please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If I pay the additional £22 can you make my email work effectively and change the printer to a Canon MG5750?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry I should have said this is a new printer, works wirelessly and replaces a Brother.
Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for your reply. Yes, I can do this, but can you please let me know before which version of Ubuntu you are using?

Thank you very much,

Lorenz Vauck

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I thought I sent you this earlier before I went out!
I upgraded recently to 16.04
I am in now.
Paul

Hi Paul,

sorry, there was no info prior that message, maybe the JustAnswer website had a problem and the message wasn´t set. I would be glad to help you via a remote-assistance. Do you have AnyDesk (or Teamviewer or any other remote-assistance-software) installed in your Ubuntu 16.04 already?

Lorenz

Hi Paul,

I just wanted to accept your request, but I get:

"Payment for this premium service has failed, please don't proceed with the service. We will attempt to contact the customer to remedy the situation."

Also, please let me know about my question, if you have any kind of remote-assistance software installed already in Ubuntu.

Lorenz

Lorenz Vauck, Computer Expert
Experience: 17 years of experience in fixing problems with DOS, Linux, Mac OS, iOS, Android & Windows. Just ask me :)
Expert:  KamilAnwar1 replied 9 months ago.

May i connect with you remotely to take a look at this directly?

I am sorry Paul, another expert interrupted us at this point and has taken your remote-assistance request when it went to the "open questions" lists for all experts. This happened because there was a payment failure at first which you now might have rectified, so the expert just took it and most likely did not read our conversation as well and that we were in the middle of settings things up. I have reported this to the JustAnswer moderators to rectify the situation. I am very sorry for this, but now he got paid the amount for the remote-assistance instead of me :(

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lorenz
My mob number is *****
this is a little different than the number noted.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would rather have Lorenz (computerVaulk)

I am so sorry Paul, the other expert should not have done this if he would have read our conversation before just accepting the request. Now he got paid for the remote-assistance-service instead of me. We now have to wait until the JustAnswer moderator replies back (I´ve reported this already). Again, I am really sorry and frustrated about this, but now that this has happened, there is no other way than to wait for a reply from the moderators.

Of course, the other expert can still reply here and do the remote-assistance you just paid him for.

I´ve also sent that expert a personal message already. If there are any news, I will let you know right away. This is as frustrating for me as it is for you, as I would have had time to perform the remote-assistance on your Ubuntu right now.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lorenz -
I consider being assisted by the requested person part of the 100% satisfaction. I will wait.

Thanks Paul, but I am not sure if this is even possible now, we have to wait for the moderators to reply about how to handle such a case. I never had such a interruption yet, as the expert should have seen by our conversation, that we were in the middle of settings things up, instead to just accept the request for your remote-assistance because it did go to the open questions list.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lorenz
I understand but I would prefer you to look at the problem and hopefully sort it.
I am going to be with my wife now in another room. Please text me when you can help.
Paul

Thanks Paul. Yes, I would love to help, but I did not get paid for that service now, the other expert did. I need the moderator to move the payment to me instead and I don´t even know if this is possible. We have to wait for him. Truly sorry for this, I am very frustrated about this, never had this happen to me, as other experts usually tend to read the conversation before just accepting requests.

Hello Again, The previous expert has sent me a message to assist you with this issue. Let me know when you're available.

Paul, this is right, because I know that the moderators do usually not work on weekends during these late hours, so you´d have to wait until Monday most likely, to get your problem addressed. Hence I thought Kamil should just do it, because he got paid for it. If you do not want that Kamil does it and want to wait until Monday, just let us know again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Does the email include my preference/

Your "preference" ? What exactly do you mean?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lorenz, I would rather wait for you to be available.

OK, thank you. In this case, I have another to speed up things. Please go to your JustAnswer account, you should see all your questions listed there and somewhere (I am not exactly sure where), there should be a button to get a refund for the remote-assistance-payment you´ve just made. Please take care to not refund the original question, just the extra remote-assistance payment. Let me know when you´ve done that. Then we get this all sorted in another way, I will advise you once you confirm that JustAnswer refunded your payment for the remote-assistance. Thanks so much and sorry again for this mess.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lorenz,
I have tried to email for a refund but I do not think this worked and given my difficulties I am not surprised.
Paul

I see, but in your JustAnswer account, isn´t there a button where you can refund just the remote-assistance? There should be one...

Believe me, I am as upset as you about this, the other expert is making us such trouble now because he did not read our conversation and just clicked the "accept" button for the remote-assistance. Oh well.... Anyhow, have a look if you can find a refund button somewhere for that remote-assistance only.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry but it was there that I was told to phone or email. I tried email because phoning can be too expensive.

OK, then we really have to wait, what a pity:( Did you tell them what happened and that they just should refund the remote-assistance to you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, unlike young people my typing is slow and I stopped when I reached my account. I have spent long enough with this now I will wait.

Ah OK, so you did not email them, did I understand this right? You sound young to me to be honest, thought you are 20 something. Am I that wrong?

In any case, what we should do now to get this sorted is this: I will ask the moderator again to refund the remote-assistance for you within this question. You then just open up a new question via lorenzvauck.com and enter your question into the small box by typing "FOR COMPUTERVAUCK ONLY: remote-assistance. Please make the value of the question the same value the remote-assistance had by using the sliders. Then the question will be assigned only to me and we continue talking there + I get paid for the remote-assistance this way.

I am sorry for this trouble, but there is no other way around if you want me to work with you on the remote-assistance. If you could do this right now, that would be great, because I am at the computer right now. So I can make sure, no other expert will get the question again.

Thank you very much!!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lorenz sorry but I am sitting down now and doing nothing. I am in my 50s and knackered.
Paul

Oh OK, I am sorry again for this... if you could open the new question though, so that we have that sorted and I can send another report to the moderator, that would be really great.

I just got informed that the moderator has already refunded your remote-assistance!

Now you´d just need to open a new question directly to me via lorenzvauck.com (as instructed above) and with a value of around 22 GBP, then we are all set:)

You can also try, if you can request a new remote-assistance, but we need to time this, so that no other expert get´s it again. So before you do that, please let me know if you currently see an option to request another remote-assistance.